Need help choosing chassi for gaming rig.

Whatever you do, make sure you use the stand-offs between your case and motherboard. :3

I just replaced my case, and since my old case didn't have them I didn't know they were necessary. I didn't even see them, actually. I almost warped my motherboard and it wouldn't even turn on until I took everything back out and put the motherboard on using the stand-offs properly.

@Renn: I don't really know what that is, though it shouldn't be any danger because I'm building a new PC, not replacing the case on my current PC. This will be my first "dedicated" gaming PC, I had a mini-tower a few years ago, but I bought my current laptop after it started bluescreening 5 times per day. But the laptop can't really handle all my games, so thats why I'm building a gaming PC.

I've decided to go with the Cooler Master HAF XB, because I like the overall design of it and it doesn't look like a washing machine. Thanks for all the tips and answers everyone!

Good choice, it has more room then your average case. Just because the way the motherboard is placed. Also has the benefit to be able to pick it up and move it around, unlike if you where to go full tower, some of those full towers cases when packed full could weigh a metric tun.

Edited by Thor.

@Renn: I don't really know what that is, though it shouldn't be any danger because I'm building a new PC, not replacing the case on my current PC. This will be my first "dedicated" gaming PC, I had a mini-tower a few years ago, but I bought my current laptop after it started bluescreening 5 times per day. But the laptop can't really handle all my games, so thats why I'm building a gaming PC.

Doesn't matter, you'll still need to use standoffs unless your case doesn't require them. :3

They're small spacing things that screw into your case where the motherboard would normally sit, so the motherboard can rest on them instead of the case. They ensure there's a small gap between your case and your motherboard so they don't touch and short out the motherboard. Not using them usually doesn't damage anything, but it can prevent your PC from starting or make it shut down randomly. After looking at some reviews from the Cooler Master HAF XB, it looks like there's a good chance you'll have to screw in most/all of the stand-offs yourself. This is what they usually look like:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312IYBUbAVL.jpg

Edited by Rennn