Vertibird Air Support

ZanderArch

Would it be possible for there to be a Vertibird "NPC" that would hover and provide fire support for ground forces?

Ideally it would function like a floating Sentry Bot, Minigun as it's main weapon and Missiles fired every so often.

But the issue I'd imagine would be how to get in the air and act like an NPC. I have little experience with FO3's modding scene, but know a little from other games to understand that all current interaction with Vertibirds are heavily scripted rather than AI handled, so adding a "smart" version would be difficult.

Another issue I'd imagine would be how it would interact and move. Since there are only "hovering" NPCs (Bloat Flies, Mister Gusty / Handy, Eye Bots, etc.) that act more like walking creatures that don't show their legs attached to the ground, having a flying Vertibird that would follow the player (Either in a supportive role as a gunship or as a patrolling enemy unit that would rain hell on the player.) would be hard to have, since they would technically be attached to the ground by an invisible "leg". This "leg" would make them impossible to walk under for any entity and they wouldn't react to terrain very well (Going over a rock would push them higher up).

Now, knowing these issues, would any intrepid and/or skilled modder try to find a way around these and add Vertibirds, either as enemies patrolling Enclave Mini-Bases, or as a temporary fire support for the playing character via "Radio" Aid Device?

Well, it can do that in the Enclave Commander mod.

Well, it can do that in the Enclave Commander mod.

I read through the mod description (Since I don't have Broken Steel yet) and watched the videos, and it never said anything about Air Support. There were strafing runs with missiles and bombs, but never "Hover and shoot as support". Also, I was hoping for an enemy unit as well to make the Enclave a little more interesting.

Archived