Blue, purple, white skin artifacts

anjenthedog

I was reading a thread earlier in which someone suggested that blue means a body paint layer is missing

What is the difference between these artifacts?

I get periodic "upsets" to my character's body texture, but she usually gets white skin, not purple or blue, or for that matter, golden, which are the three types of "texture" problems that I usually see "showcased" in many tech support threads (aside from CBBE/UNP family mismatches). Not complaining about my issue, I can fix it when it happens, just puzzled by all the variants and their "source" issues.

So...I'm curious what the actual difference is. It'd be nice to be able to discriminate between them, instead of lumping them together into a nebulous "texture problem"

white

purple

blue

golden/bronze

I can add to that, where I get a version of the dark face bug where there is a multicolored, almost fresnel pixellated pattern on the face textures. I can use the dark face fix to 'restore' a better look, but I am not sure it is the look that should be there. Happens on a few generic characters, and on a few NPC/followers added by individual mods. Can't spot any overrides.

I read another post that presented an explanation of the blue skin problem, saying that it's associated with missing/misdirected body paint texture layer. Not sure if it's true, but it sounds reasonable, so until it's "debunked" I'll take it as ~true.

Gold/bronze is, afaik associated with a bad specular map, or bad spec map definition in a preset (like the missing skin overlay file def problem in some Racemenu presets that leads to the gold tone).

The other two I have no idea (although I sometimes experience the white body with a BHUNP overlaid player character derived from a Copy Character cloning. Fortunately, I have a preset for her so it's just a matter of reloading it). Maybe that one is specific to Copy Character issues, idk.

Yeah, heads can be weird too. And yes, I get the same results from using a dark face fix as well. It's "corrected", but in almost every case, the tone doesn't seem quite right, or at least when I encounter those with it in the wild, using dark face fix (or even using console setnpcweight), leaves them with a lighter tone, but it's usually quite obviously different that the body it's attached to. It usually (for me) leaves their heads "ashen" in comparison to whatever normal skin tone they have on body feet hands. Not sure if maybe I'm describing a similar "Fresnel pixelated pattern", but something's off when they're "fixed" for me too.

Anyway, it'd just be nice to at least know how to narrow down the type of error based on overt symptomology (like color, or some other measure)...