I'm probably just dumb but...

Tarvesh

I've installed a number of mods to make the game run smoother and optimize some things. I've also got a few cutscene skips and the like. But none of the mods are working. I've downloaded them through vortex but nothing seems to actually work. Am I just dumb? Skyrim and Fallout mods work fine, but nothing for Starfield works.

Same here. I've done the StarfieldCustom.ini as well. Followed all instructions, but none of the mods work. Skyrim and FO4 were a breeze, can't understand why the mods are not working this time.

FIXED

Instead of creating a .txt I copied the StarfieldPrefs (and copied the Archive into it). Then renamed it to StarfieldCustom. Enable extensions. When I did I noticed it was ini.ini. The Prefs one automatically adds the .ini for you. I deleted the extra .ini and the mods are now working for me.

Good luck to anybody still having issues. Hope this works for others.

Edited by NymNola

Install manually to "C:\Users\***\Documents\My Games\Starfield\Data". Don't use Vortex.

* - Add these lines to your StarfieldCustom.ini in documents/my games/Starfield

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

Edited by NetDigger

Install manually to "C:\Users\***\Documents\My Games\Starfield\Data". Don't use Vortex.

* - Add these lines to your StarfieldCustom.ini in documents/my games/Starfield

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

I did this still not working for me i got a few to work but manly the texture ones arent workign wich kind of sucks

From memory, very early "we improve performance" mods for Beth games tend to be cons- things that sound good on paper but misrepresent the true problem with the engine. Then comes a second phase of mods from people who have taken the time to understand the issues, and then some performance mods will actually make a difference.

There are code issues with Beth's current version that are definitely causing unnecessary issues. Past experience teaches that Beth is the most arrogant of companies, and will never admit this by recompiling- instead Todd is doing a tour boasting about his wonderful 'optimization' in a game with prehistoric graphics yet the worst performance of any AAA game this year.

Fallout 4 and Skyrim had the same dreadful bad code issues. Modders eventually were able to hack in and divert certain code calls to properly coded functions, making startling difference on lower spec systems. But this is skillful and careful work that takes time.

Easy fix for now - edit the Starfield.ini directly in the game's root folder, instead of StarfieldCustom.ini.

Nobody seems to know why the custom INI doesn't work across the board, but it's well established that it doesn't work for everyone.

I've also read that textures don't load outside of "My Games\Starfield\Data", while other assets will. I chose not to trust this information, and simply installed mods in both locations - the root Data folder, and the "My Games" Data folder.

Easy fix for now - edit the Starfield.ini directly in the game's root folder, instead of StarfieldCustom.ini.

Nobody seems to know why the custom INI doesn't work across the board, but it's well established that it doesn't work for everyone.

I've also read that textures don't load outside of "My Games\Starfield\Data", while other assets will. I chose not to trust this information, and simply installed mods in both locations - the root Data folder, and the "My Games" Data folder.

I tried this too still couldn't get it to work. I think I'll just wait a couple of weeks before doing anything with textures till the amazing modding community fixes Beth's issues for them