ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Game freezes when trying to load after creating a 9th save

JaxonHellsing

Hello! I recently got this bug out of nowhere as this was a few days ago but I started to play skyrim modded again and it was working fine. I didn't download more mods, and now all of the sudden I have this bug where after 8 saves created, creating a 9th save and loading it doesn't work. It doesn't say it's corrupted at all either and I have savegamemaxsize set to true in engine fixes so it doesn't matter. If I try loading the 9th save, it doesn't even load the loading screen. It just freezes in the menu with the menu music playing or game sounds (depending if I quick loaded) and stops responding. This is the first time I have encountered something like this and it's frustrating. I haven't found a fix for it either. If you have any solutions please give me any. I would greatly appreciate it.

Two ideas to help you see what is going on:

1. Try looking in Windows Event Manager for hung processes, etc.

2. If you are using any SKSE-based mods, don't forget to check the SKSE logs in your Documents\My Games folder, you can use the 'Details' view to arrange them by time stamp. Check to see if any are not loading properly, and hanging your game up.

Otherwise, you may have to go back to save #8 and retrace your steps as much as possible, spamming saves for a while, at least. I HATE losing 30 minutes or more of gaming time. Also, there have been many reports over the years of autosave and quicksave making broken save files. I have my game set to only autosave on resting.

Good luck!

Two ideas to help you see what is going on:

1. Try looking in Windows Event Manager for hung processes, etc.

2. If you are using any SKSE-based mods, don't forget to check the SKSE logs in your Documents\My Games folder, you can use the 'Details' view to arrange them by time stamp. Check to see if any are not loading properly, and hanging your game up.

Otherwise, you may have to go back to save #8 and retrace your steps as much as possible, spamming saves for a while, at least. I HATE losing 30 minutes or more of gaming time. Also, there have been many reports over the years of autosave and quicksave making broken save files. I have my game set to only autosave on resting.

Good luck!

I've never used windows event manager, how do I check for hung over processes with it?

In win 10, right-click on the start icon, look on the list for 'Event Viewer', click on it. You will have several sections in the resulting window, look around in it. It is a long shot, only shows information re: windows processes. I had a freeze myself this A.M., tried using it, and nothing of interest showed up. Maybe you will have more luck.

Wadr Leonidas, More often than not, event viewer will show little of interest with regard to interior operations of Skyrim.

and now all of the sudden I have this bug where after 8 saves created, creating a 9th save and loading it doesn't work

I'm a little confused. Is that the 9th save during a single play session, or the 9th save after you start a new game?

Possibly your graphics card is running hot, and coincidentally, it takes roughly 9 saves before it goes over the top and chokes. (I'm really reaching for that one, but video card overheating IS possible, especially in the summer IFF you don't happen to have air conditioning)

In any case, crashing after a very specific number of saves is just plain weird. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone encountering that glitch before during the past 4-1/2 years I've been playing and avidly reading the skyrim forums (here and elsewhere)

You install anything recently? If so, it may be interfering with your otherwise never had an issue game. (regardless of "no errors" during deployment, during fnis, or whether or not your save files are clean

On that subject, please open your 8th save file (not 9th , 8th) using falrim tools re-saver. If you find that there are a large number of stacks and or frames, or you have large numbers of undefined elements or unattached instances, that could point to an/the issue. Ideally, post the results (in a spoiler tag. No one wants to have to navigate a wall of text)

And for helping your helpers at nexus help you (ie anyone who wants to help you solve this): standard blather

1) load order (pasted to a spoiler tag)

2) crash log(s) (pasted to a spoiler tag)

spoiler tag: see the icon in the editor controls that's green and white striped?

1. Click it.
  2. Now scroll down in its dropdown selector until you find "spoiler"
  3. Choose "spoiler"
  4. Paste contents suggested above into that (each requested datum into its own spoiler tag)

I'd also recommend that you try this:

1. open the game
  2. open your 8th save (not 9th, 8th)
  3. go to a player home and get inside (ideally a small player home). if you have fireplaces or other automatons, turn em off if they have switches.
  4. stay there and stay inside. sleep, craft, idle. do that for two or three game days. Hell, do it for a week of game days.
  5. create a save file at the end of that from inside the player home.
  6. exit the game entirely
  7. run fallrim on that save. Anything amiss?

Wadr Leonidas, More often than not, event viewer will show little of interest with regard to interior operations of Skyrim.

and now all of the sudden I have this bug where after 8 saves created, creating a 9th save and loading it doesn't work

I'm a little confused. Is that the 9th save during a single play session, or the 9th save after you start a new game?

Possibly your graphics card is running hot, and coincidentally, it takes roughly 9 saves before it goes over the top and chokes. (I'm really reaching for that one, but video card overheating IS possible, especially in the summer IFF you don't happen to have air conditioning)

In any case, crashing after a very specific number of saves is just plain weird. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone encountering that glitch before during the past 4-1/2 years I've been playing and avidly reading the skyrim forums (here and elsewhere)

You install anything recently? If so, it may be interfering with your otherwise never had an issue game. (regardless of "no errors" during deployment, during fnis, or whether or not your save files are clean

On that subject, please open your 8th save file (not 9th , 8th) using falrim tools re-saver. If you find that there are a large number of stacks and or frames, or you have large numbers of undefined elements or unattached instances, that could point to an/the issue. Ideally, post the results (in a spoiler tag. No one wants to have to navigate a wall of text)

And for helping your helpers at nexus help you (ie anyone who wants to help you solve this): standard blather

1) load order (pasted to a spoiler tag)

2) crash log(s) (pasted to a spoiler tag)

spoiler tag: see the icon in the editor controls that's green and white striped?

1. Click it.
  2. Now scroll down in its dropdown selector until you find "spoiler"
  3. Choose "spoiler"
  4. Paste contents suggested above into that (each requested datum into its own spoiler tag)

I'd also recommend that you try this:

1. open the game
  2. open your 8th save (not 9th, 8th)
  3. go to a player home and get inside (ideally a small player home). if you have fireplaces or other automatons, turn em off if they have switches.
  4. stay there and stay inside. sleep, craft, idle. do that for two or three game days. Hell, do it for a week of game days.
  5. create a save file at the end of that from inside the player home.
  6. exit the game entirely
  7. run fallrim on that save. Anything amiss?

new session and old sessions. Also it doesn't generate a crash log when it freezes as it doesn't crash to desktop. All it does is freeze and stops responding. I already said I didn't download anymore mods when this happened. Also yes I don't think anyone's had this issue either. I've also checked my memory and it's fine. My GPU is only in the 30's. Also I forget where the load order files are

Yeah, I was grasping at some way to spot a problem, since he was freezing up, did try it myself when my game froze, and saw nothing on my system. BTW, this is the 2nd or third time I have seen some problem reported, and my system starts showing that behavior - weird...

Coincidence Leo. I experience freezes too. Or are you sugessting that you're now experiencing freezes "after the 9th save" too? (not a serious or snarky question. I doubt you are). Because I've never read another post that says that, nor experienced it myself. and I save often, quite often in fact, sometimes 20 or 30 times during a session. (rhetorical question here. I really am done with the thread, I just figured I owed you a reply out of respect)

Yeah, I was grasping at some way to spot a problem, since he was freezing up, did try it myself when my game froze, and saw nothing on my system. BTW, this is the 2nd or third time I have seen some problem reported, and my system starts showing that behavior - weird...

Coincidence Leo. I experience freezes too. Or are you sugessting that you're now experiencing freezes "after the 9th save" too? (not a serious or snarky question. I doubt you are). Because I've never read another post that says that, nor experienced it myself. and I save often, quite often in fact, sometimes 20 or 30 times during a session. (rhetorical question here. I really am done with the thread, I just figured I owed you a reply out of respect)

Turns out the issue is being caused by Faster HDT-SMP and I have no idea how to fix it. I messaged the author but nothings happened yet