General Mod Confusion

JustinTime08

So I am able to get all my mods running and haven't really got stuck anywhere.
BUT I am confused about what stuff has to go into the Documents directory and what goes under the steam directory.
Some stuff I have will work in one but not the other, the reason this is confusing me is that a lot of these installations guides seem to be having me put stuff on the steam side and most of the time that doesnt work?
Or I am just cracked out and retarded thanks
Or is the that actual mod files go in docs but ini changes etc need to be in the exe steam location.

Any clarifications would be awesome, everything is working but my files are getting cluttered lol

Disclaimer: I have a very limited time modding Starfield/Bethesda games in general, but here is what I have found to work for me so far:

Install all mod files in the actual game directory and the StarfieldCustom.ini in your Documents. Always install one at a time, ensure each mod is doing what it's supposed to after install, and make backups frequently. Some mods may require a different method, so YMMV.

Edit: I would also like to clarify that I have cut and pasted my Data folder from Documents to the actual game directory so the game reads everything from that location, which has so far worked for me.

@CrapulenceOG

Okay thanks for some input I just installed a bunch more and that seems to be the conclusion I'm coming to as well, However this time around I literally just installed in both places. I do think it is Documents for ini files etc and steamapps for the any actual mod files. Except Star Ui inventory im pretty sure I had to put in docu

Quick question after you install mods do you just cut paste every time or will it automatically put it in both, been a long time since I've messed with files and my brain has regressed