Scripting questions... personal mod is not wanting to work

baddog117098

I have a request for some help in regards to scripting.

What I want to do is fairly simple, at least in my head. I've spent hours going over the Wiki and bashing my head on the desktop and looking at some vaguely similar mods, but I just can't get the commands to work right.

I wanted to make a way to improve disposition in NPCs in a manner other than that silly wheel through a mini-game.

Basically, the mod is a series of message boxes. I have it starting on the casting of a spell (seemed easiest), then it loads into 7 or 8 choices to increase the disposition, either through flirtation, threats, blathering or whatnot. Then, from there another three or four options pop up after the choice of the 8, then another 3 or 4, and finally one more group of four. Basically a very large, branching tree - with each choice leading to 4 other possibles. The final choice will grant fame or infamy depending on the character's choices.

Now, my problem is, I can't figure out how to get each choice to work along the branches... I have the spell to initiate it all set to go, the scripting message boxes just aren't working for me.

If the code is simple and can somebody can show me what I basically have to do, that would be amazing (or at least point me in the direction of another mod that has something similar that I can take a look at).

with each choice leading to 4 other possibles

so 8x4x4x4....you know that is a lot eh?

Yes, basically the code is simple. But it is almost unbearable to do...if every choice leads to another one....

Other than that, things could get quite boring, because although every choice leads to another one..there are just 4 at one time.

and they aren't different for any other npc...so every action would go the same after you know which works favorable..

While in the mini-game, the likes/dislikes are different every couple of times

Actually, I think it would be easier to do this inside the dialogue....with so many choices....

Because of the complexities of gametime vs menutime hierarchical menu boxes are necessarily complex. They're not actually difficult, but they take a lot of work to script well and are prone to easy bugs, because of the number of values you have to keep track of. Here's a link to the best tutorial on writing menu box stuff - including multiple menu depth:

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index...ageBox_Tutorial

You could simplify it a little using MessageBoxEX from OBSE which would allow you to dynamically change the strings displayed on a single menu box and thus simplify your code a bit, though there's no tutorial that i'm aware of for that - you'd have to work it out yourself from the OBSE documentation. Not too hard if you have some programming experience, but it might be a little perplexing if you don't.

There's a mod called persuasion overhaul which attempts to do what you're trying to do through dialogue instead. You might want to take a look at that one.

HeX