Skyrim Crashing on launch

Dovahbear323

Hi everyone,

I have exhausted my options and feel there is nowhere else to turn but to ask for help with my Gog version of Skyrim crashing.

I use Mod Organizer 2 with Loot and Gog compatible SKSE, and I have ended up not even getting to the start menu of Skyrim with the small list of mods I have.

There are no issues that Loot flags with the master files or the mods.

I generate crash logs that always mention Windhelm's "Blood on the Ice" quest, one of them is attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gog Skyrim Crash - Pastebin.com

Hi Leonidas,

So I verified the files, and 180mb of changes were made after doing that.

I forgot to mention I cleaned the master files plus the 4 creation kit files with SSEEdit previously, after I verified the files, the masters reverted back to their old versions before they were cleaned.

However, my modded game now runs properly through SKSE after I verified the files, although I don't doubt the potential for future crashes considering the nature of modding games!

So thanks for the suggestion, it worked, and it seems cleaning master files are a bad idea, at least for the Gog version of skyrim.

As for all the pip boy stuff, your guess is as good as mine!

cleaning master files are a bad idea, at least for the Gog version of skyrim

tbh, I thought the old practice of cleaning masters had gone out of fashion after release of 1.5.97. I do remember it being preached as gospel for 1.5.73 and 1.5.80, but I also remember quite a few posts after 1.5.97 was released that said, in so many words, "don't clean masters any more".

fwiw and all that. I could be wrong, but that's how I've been rolling since installing 1.5.97.

It seems to me that whether to clean files, esm or esp, has been a controversial subject for about ten years now.

Some mod authors that I respect very much and are much more knowledgeable than I am give opposing views on the whole cleaning idea. In my opinion it is up to the individual as to whether they clean files or not; whatever works for you.

As for myself I gave up cleaning any files after SSE came out, whether this helped or hindered anything I have no idea but I figure I will stick with it unless a mod author of a mod I have tells me otherwise.

I have noticed that some mod authors have specifically stated not to clean their mod but I have never had one tell me to clean their mod.