[help/support] All mods automatically switching to inactive on game start

aspicycabbage

As the title says.

I activate my various mods in BG3 mod manager, sort the load order, and save it. This has worked for me for a long time.

But now, suddenly, when i start the game from steam all mods are automatically deactivated. When i open the mod manager, every mod has been switched over to the inactive pane. I can't load any saves without crashing. No new mods have been added since this started happening. Checked that bg3 mod manager is up to date (1.0.9.7) as well as bg3 modfixer and Norbyte's script extender (v3).

Not sure what's going on or how to fix. Any input would be cool.

this may not work (but it's what worked for me) find modsettings.lsx and try setting it to read only and see if that stops it from reseting

Good suggestion, but no dice.

That did seem to prevent the mod manager from resetting the mods to inactive and clearing the load order, but for some reason in the game itself i still get a warning that all the mods are still missing and it continues crashing on load.

EDIT: Also, mods still aren't working when starting a new game under these conditions, so it's not just a problem with the save files somehow.

Edited by aspicycabbage

+1

Mods stopped loading w/ Vortex. Thought it might've been a new mod or update caused. Best guess was https://github.com/Norbyte/lslib/releases v1.18.7

Removed all mods, deleted .lsx, manually removed .dll, .pak, .xaml, etc, Steam integrity check, reinstalled careful to follow instructions from Mod Authors - same

Uninstalled Vortex, BG3, manually removed all files from Program Files (x86) and App Data, rebooted, installed BG3, installed BG3MM, used that to install mods - same symptoms as OP

I have to be missing something stupid since no mods are loading in either scenario...

Welp, after trying a bunch of other crap (can't even remember it all at this point) nothing helped. So i started from scratch with fresh installs of everything (save for windows and steam) on a new save file and that has fixed it for me... so far. Haven't fully rebuilt the load order yet.

Still no idea what could have caused mods to fully stop working like that. The only change i'm aware was a hotfix, but that doesn't seem to have caused any widespread issue at all, so... :mellow:

I had this issue a week or so ago, and I did just about everything you did trying to fix it. What finally fixed it was uninstalling all mods, reinstalling BG3MM, and reinstalling mods. I also had to leave all override mods out of the load order in BG3MM for some reason (the option is there when you right-click, then choose "add to load order" so if you haven't done that intentionally it's not an issue. Anything that BG3MM adds automatically is fine.).

This sounds like the problem I was having. Mods are up in bg3modmanager and save/export seem to set the modsettings.lsx file correctly. I would then start bg3 and see the error message of the mods aren't loaded for the game. Then I close out and check the modettings.lsx file to see that everything has been wiped out of it.

It turns out that when I added the modfixer (https://www.nexusmod...sgate3/mods/141) mod back into the mods file everything worked again. I had taken modfixer out because larian had implemented their own. It seems they might have withdrawn it. Without modfixer, some of the mods weren't formatted correctly and were causing the modsettings.lsx file to reset.

Had the same issue while Developing a Mod, for me spamming "Export Order to Game" in BG3MM while the game is starting up helped it

Edit:

Usually this Issue is caused when you permanently delete a Mod that is saved in the order and the Game tries to init it or if your new mod have some issues. That semeed to be my case

Edited by Shivero

The Problem is that when one mod does not load properly for whatever reason: NO MODS WILL LOAD.

Disable / uninstall all mods

Enable / Install 1 mod -> launch game and try to Load a Save

Quit Game -> Enable 1 more mod -> launch game and try to Load a Save

Repeat until you find the mod at fault.

Check for an updated version of the mod or just leave it out depending.

Edited by Woadens