Stark lines at body part intersections

BadPenney

While working on a body retex and checking it in game, I came across a good example of the lighting problem that causes intersection lines in FO3 bodies regardless of how well the skin textures are blended:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/imageshare/images/1103832-1246211272.jpg

The image on the right is an unretouched screenshot from FO3. The image on the left is the same shot roughly photoshopped to create a more naturalistic light and shadow for the subject.

You can see that (as TGBlank pointed out in an earlier post) the head and body are lit as 2 separate objects. Not only does the head not cast a shadow on the body, but the body does not reflect light back onto the head.

In the end, segment lines are not a texture issue. A perfectly blended body and head will only show no segment line under ideal lighting conditions. That is the current state of the art in body graphics for Fallout 3 and it is unlikely to change until maybe Fallout 4.

So please cut the modders some slack and applaud the body replace guys for their excellent work. I know that I do.

Heh, nice work on explaining the technicalities of the issue.

As far as I know, the only way you can actually fix the problem and make the transition between head and body model seem seamless (pun inteded) is to make the neck part of the body mesh rather than the head mesh - this way you could hide the offending model intersection somewhere less noticable like behind the jaw, however it'd also require re-implementing quite a few meshes to make it work, and you'd have to make a fix for every custom mesh where this could be an issue.

Are there currently any ways to hide the seems instead? The obvious answer would be a necklace attached to all characters, but searching for necklace gives no results.

I see necklaces included with some of Luchaire's Type V armors.

But for ALL characters? Can't really picture Jericho with a necklace. :blink:

Are there currently any ways to hide the seems instead? The obvious answer would be a necklace attached to all characters, but searching for necklace gives no results.

good point... what about dog tags?

Maybe a necklace with human ears like Dolph Lundgren in Universal Soldier? :biggrin: