Offhand melee attacks

Circuitous

Got back into Fo3 recently, and after playing a couple other shooters in the interim, I've thought of one thing I'd really like to have. If you read the title, you know what this is already, but for those who didn't I'll add a dramatic explanatory line next.

Offhand melee attacks.

If you're not familiar with the concept, it's when you make a melee attack while carrying a ranged weapon. Be it a punch with your off hand, a rifle butt to the temple, or a bayonet in the jugular. If I have to explain why such a thing would be nice to have, you haven't fought enough feral ghouls.

A "complete" version of this mod would end up needing new animations (first- and third-person) and goodness knows what else, but what I'm actually requesting is a simple proof-of-concept. We can fine-tune later.

I figure the easiest way to do it would be to run a script when the Grab button is pressed. Is the target alive? Is the player's weapon drawn? If yes to both, deal damage and push as if the player just did a melee attack. This will probably require FOSE, but that's not even a big deal anymore, so no worries there.

So I guess the question is... is it possible to have a script make a melee attack, even with FOSE? Is it even plausible?

Hopefully someone that knows a thing or two about scripting with FOSE could answer/make this. Thanks for your time.