help with aggravatingly confusing crash ctd

Fractalbase

TL;DR my modded skyrim se/ae has some kind of issue that causes repeatable CTDs at specific points of time, and the crash logs don't seem to provide any relevant information regarding the crashes. Sometimes starting a new game causes saves to be created as corrupt and without a skse co-save.

essentially, my modded game was playing fine and generally stable, but I keep updating mods in my mod order and occasionally adding new mods to my mod order.

I should mention my modded skyrim is... heavy, having many mods and plugins.

Here is my modwatch.

recently, my game started to exhibit random CTDs within 10 minutes of loading a save and playing.

So I decided to start focusing on a new game and eliminating crashes from there.

sometimes starting with alternate start will freeze indefinitely; this happens sometimes, but restarting the game usually works around mentioned issue.

generally there are several freezes from starting a new game, but the freezes only last a few seconds.

usually starting a new game results in several minutes of the VM being overwhelmed with low FPS (2-10fps).

Then the game catches up with itself and I'm getting around 60-70fps and the VM no longer being overwhelmed.

although this is a point where sometimes the game will create abnormal saves, where instead of saves being around 12mb to 16mb with a skse co-save, the saves are 32mb to 40mb with no skse co-saves created. Attempting to load these saves will show the "save file is corrupt and cannot be loaded" error. The only thing to do is to close the game and start a new playthrough. This issue started happening today, but usually doesn't happen.

After completing alternate start: live another life, and generating normal save files with skse co-saves, I select my starting condition from the Mara statue. For testing purposes, I tend to pick the same option: I own property in one of the holds, Breezehome (whiterun). Moving my character to the prison bed, I make a save, and then click on the bed.

The game starts loading but then immediately crashes. I was pulling my hair out today bewildered by this, because the crash logs don't seem to indicate anything related to the crash, just information that was there due to the game state.

Here are the crash logs and analyzed reports that I tend to get.

Nearing the end of my headache debugging session for today, I essentially got to a point where:

either after starting a new game, the game would crash after clicking on the prison bed before entering breezehome.

Or, the game would successfully proceed to Breezehome, but instantly crash if I attempt to click on the front door to exit Breezehome to Whtierun.

This CTD has me pulling my hair out, perhaps largely due to the crash logs not seemingly providing helpful information.

another TL;DR my game crashes a lot after starting a new game and the crash logs don't help.

Anyone who can provide some further insight into my situation is greatly appreciated.

Hopefully suggestions to return to vanilla can be avoided; also suggestions saying I have too many mods can hopefully be avoided; suggestions specifying what mods to not use anymore will be take seriously.

I'm aware of the general divide-and-conquer approach to finding faulty plugins, and will consider this strategy when I have free time and I'm somewhat sane again.

But any information that you can provide from your experience with CTDs in similar situations will be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you for reading this far. I appreciate any help that you can provide.

• 3 weeks later...