Rookie Modder seeking Veteran Artist

october21

Okay, here's the deal. I'm looking for someone to help me out (read: do it for me) with some textures, and more importantly, the normal maps for my Android companion and race which is central to my still-in-development mod.

More specifically, I need textures and -again, more importantly- normals for the various states of 'battle-damage' he goes through.

I've drawn up my own textures for each stage using the GIMP, and while they don't look horrible, they're not as 'awesome' looking as I want. The real trouble I'm having though, is getting the normal maps to look good. I've read every tutorial I could find on making normal maps, and tested nearly every possible combination of settings, but nothing so far has given me the desired effect.

It's extra complicated to me because parts of his face will be metal, while other parts are still skin and blood, or whatever, a la Terminator-style. If I get the metal parts to look good, then the skin looks stupid, or vice versa. I've tried copying and pasting parts different parts and all that, but I think this is just beyond my skills for now.

I've already got the transition working and all that, all I need now is some good textures to complete the effect.

So, I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw up a request, and see if anyone bites. If no one does, then I guess I'll just continue banging my head on the keyboard and cursing my lack of creativity. I don't want to give away too much info here, but if anyone is interested, drop me a line either here, or you can e-mail me at [email protected], and I'd be happy to fill you in on some more details, and what I'm looking for. I'd be more than willing to send/upload the 'place-holder' textures I drew up myself, for reference or whatever, but I'm completely open to new ideas and suggestions.

(Also, if you think you can help with one or the other -i.e. do the textures, but not the normals OR you're good with normals but not much for texturing, I can work with that too. Just let me know if you can help in any way.)

Short answer: Yeah, but I'm too scared to ask >.<

I thought it would be awesome if I could get someone like LHammonds to take a crack at it, him being the master of the normal map and all (or asking OccularDissonance who did his Terminator's textures)...but I don't wanna bother anyone. They're probably all working on projects of their own.

Plus, I'm a huge *kittie kittie*, and "I don't think I could handle that kind of rejection" -(George McFly) >.<

But yeah, you're right, if I want help, I'm gonna have to ask for it directly I guess ^^

Anyway, thanks for the bump =D