Combining area mods

Pyrogoat

Ok, here is my issue.

I have two player home mods. We shall call the A and B. These mods both have their own interior cells.

What I want to do is Add a hatch in the floor inside A that leads to B (to make B a basement level of A).

I have tried to do this several ways. Editing just A or just B, or creating a new esp file that alters both home mods. Nothing has worked.

Either nothing happens at all (none of the changes I make take effect), the game crashes on startup (before I even get to the load game menu), or some partial changes take effect, but not all of them.

I was removing the doorway from the wasteland to home B completely. Then adding a door in home A and setting it to teleport to home B entry door interior.

But the new door I added in home A would never show up.

I realize now that the teleport marker may have been positioned inside some geometry, but wouldn't that have just caused a crash when you tried to use the door?

It shouldn't make the door disappear or crash the game before I even try to load a save, right?

I'm kind of new to modding, so I don't know how to merge them into one file, but I think you can make a new patch to do this. You would load both existing files, edit them as desired, save the new file, and then load it after the other two. I'm sure there's a more elegant solution, but this should work.

If the new door doesn't show up, I'd suspect it could be a problem with the load order. You could do a COC command in the console to the cell of the "basement" and see if that one works.

Edit: Your forum name seems familiar, but I can't quite tell from where.

I found a solution to this issue, so I thought I would post it here for the benefit of other curious beginning modders.

The problem is that I needed to make one of the house mods into an ESM file. You can't mod an ESP's contents with another ESP.

Since one of the homes became oddly unstable when I made it into an ESM I made the other into an ESM and then modded the remaining one (still and ESP) to make all the changes I wanted.

Worked like a charm!

@ PositronicSpleen:

My forum name here is also used on GameFaqs and Xbox live, you may recongnize me from one of those places?

You can't mod an ESP's contents with another ESP.

Yes, I think that you can. At least, I have been able to do so.

But I am glad that you were able to find a solution that works for you.

.esps cannot be dependent upon other .esps. That is to say, an .esp cannot be the master of another .esp.