Where the hell are the guides on Effect Shaders?

Omny

I want to make my own Effect shaders and particle effects, but I don't know where to start. I can't find any tutorials or guides online anywhere! I would have thought this would have been better documented by now, but nope.

Membrane shaders seem somewhat straightforward; most of the controls and terminology are the same as New Vegas' GECK, but there's a bunch of stuff here that I'm not familiar with- what does "Ignore Base Geometry Texture Alpha" mean, for one thing?

Particle effects are completely different now too; instead of being able to control their appearance via the Effect Shader window, they're a separate NIF altogether. But I don't know the first thing about making particle emitters in Nifskope. Again, no tutorials anywhere.

But what really annoys me is that there is this window here on the right side of the Effectshader window that seems to be for previewing shaders, but aside from being able to spawn in different models, I can't get it to do anything useful.

Like sheesh, I knew modding for Fallout 4 was going to be more difficult than modding for New Vegas, but goddamn

image.png

In fo4, for any serious things you need 3ds 2013-2014. Nifscope allows you to edit nif. It is very difficult to create anything using nifscop, and many things cannot be created using nifscop. fo4 is the only bgs game for which beth has released a full development kit. The auto-installer is contained in the ck Tools folder, and is called bgs_nif_exporter. There are all the plugins, materials, hct. In addition, there is a nif importer, it is in the f4ak package from shadeanimator on the nexus. You can also find hct2014 for hkx export. The effects in the game are presented in the form of particles (superspray) and uv animations. In most cases, the bsEffectFx material is used. Its settings can be viewed by opening any nif effect in a nifscope.

Particles are created something like this...

https://youtu.be/lDITw4nWFSs?si=F-MWeupFrpu5jdwW

The uv animations are created something like this...

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/m7zKgVOAo76vKQ

Edited by South8028

In fo4, for any serious things you need 3ds 2013-2014. Nifscope allows you to edit nif. It is very difficult to create anything using nifscop, and many things cannot be created using nifscop. fo4 is the only bgs game for which beth has released a full development kit. The auto-installer is contained in the ck Tools folder, and is called bgs_nif_exporter. There are all the plugins, materials, hct. In addition, there is a nif importer, it is in the f4ak package from shadeanimator on the nexus. You can also find hct2014 for hkx export. The effects in the game are presented in the form of particles (superspray) and uv animations. In most cases, the bsEffectFx material is used. Its settings can be viewed by opening any nif effect in a nifscope.

I don't suppose Blender will suffice for this sort of thing?

https://youtu.be/lDITw4nWFSs?si=F-MWeupFrpu5jdwW

I don't suppose Blender will suffice for this sort of thing?
Enthusiasts tried to do something for the blender, but I dont know how things are going there. The clothes can probably be made in a blender. fo4 has two active materials. bsLightingFx and bsEffectFx. One for standard surfaces, the second for effects, glass, reflections, etc. bsLightingFx actually also has controlled transparency, controlled by the alpha channel of the dxt5 format. So, the impression is that bsEffectFx was needed because it is easier to configure and consumes less textures. In any case, its not difficult to understand how to configure what by looking at nifs in a nifscope. But if its possible to create new effects without 3ds, I dont know how.