Need help. Scripting keeps failing to compile.

AtomsChosen

6 hours ago, RayoftheSun said:

I am mostly a bit worried that if I try to move the fallout 4  location all kinds of stuff will break. 

What's stopping you from doing a simple experiment? Move the fo4 folder and run the game from this location. If something doesn't work, change the game directory back.

Edited by South8028

Ill give that a try. So far I've tried

1. Running the CK as Admin

2. I set the permissions for the CK and everything in the papyrus compiler folder to have full control and made sure they are able to read and write stuff.

3. I tried changing the items the script references.

4. I tried creating new scripts and compiling already existing ones.

It always tells me what you see below. 

image.png.0758dc95c6384b1fbd8f53d9d0630529.png

10 hours ago, Fantafaust said:

I still say you should try making it in the normal way, via a quest you've made in the CK rather than using the separate compiler.

Experiments are fine but you have to start from a working position first.

I did that though. In my most recent version I made one directly form the CK called "Shipment injects". Same result. Now I want to know. If I just copy and paste my steam folder location to another and then update steam, should everything be fine once I do this? Provided I set the correct file paths in my mod manager.

On 12/6/2023 at 1:15 PM, RayoftheSun said:

I did that though. In my most recent version I made one directly form the CK called "Shipment injects". Same result. Now I want to know. If I just copy and paste my steam folder location to another and then update steam, should everything be fine once I do this? Provided I set the correct file paths in my mod manager.

I just went through this same issue, had to install the game on my laptop because my desktop computer had a hardware issue. Now on my laptop I could not compile anything. I did the steam move game option to my D drive and it moved everything properly (other then F4SE which i just reinstalled) all mods were moved along with the game and still work. Only had to re configure vortex to the new location. Now I can compile scripts.

I'm sure it's a permission issue with the Program Files x86 folder. On my old desktop it worked there but I made a lot of edits to that OS and probably disabled permissions long ago.

Don't copy/paste the game folder, let steam move it. It will be fine. Has to be a separate drive though, don't think steam will move to a new location on the same drive.  Though you could create a new partition and try that if you don't have another drive.

14 hours ago, Fantafaust said:

I highly doubt this is the issue.

Run me through your whole process, don't leave anything out

1. I started a quest called "Shipment Injects"

2. Created a script called"Shipment Injects" and left it on the default settings for when creating quests. I created it through the CK.

3. I went to the Script and edited everything so it looks like the script in the title, except I renamed it to the new name of the script file.

4. Saved and then went to "Compile Papyrus Scripts". 

5. Kept trying again repeatedly. 

5 hours ago, b3w4r3 said:

I just went through this same issue, had to install the game on my laptop because my desktop computer had a hardware issue. Now on my laptop I could not compile anything. I did the steam move game option to my D drive and it moved everything properly (other then F4SE which i just reinstalled) all mods were moved along with the game and still work. Only had to re configure vortex to the new location. Now I can compile scripts.

I'm sure it's a permission issue with the Program Files x86 folder. On my old desktop it worked there but I made a lot of edits to that OS and probably disabled permissions long ago.

Don't copy/paste the game folder, let steam move it. It will be fine. Has to be a separate drive though, don't think steam will move to a new location on the same drive.  Though you could create a new partition and try that if you don't have another drive.

I am very nervous about moving that because I am afraid that something will get broken and I won't be able to use my saves, but Ill try it. Right now I am backing up everything important.

Edited by RayoftheSun