Does Anyone know how to Make the Game Work with 1.6.640 Again?

Daelyn

Okay, so I was worried about the upgrade, and I was right to be fearful of it. My game simply just does not work. Right now when I attempt to use Vortex to run SKSE for 1.6.640 I get a crash to desktop during the Bethesda Logo screen. Which from what I have read is a pretty common issue. 

This is what I did since seeing that the game was updated. I downloaded the new SKSE to work for the update, tried it start the game, and it said something about address library not working. Then I installed the new version of address library, and the game still wouldn't start. 

Someone told me to try using the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher, and it still wouldn't work. This after reverting to the old SKSE for 1.6.640, and even the old address library version 8. 

Then I saw in the downgrade patcher post section that you should download these three downloads on the steam console, so I did, and then installed them over my Skyrim install files to replace everything back to how it was when we had 1.6.640 and no new update. 

Still crashes during the logo. 

I have tried address library v8 and v9, and neither does anything. I have no idea what to do at this point, other than to fully reinstall everything, and hope that my 60+ hour saved game still works with the new update, because I read about someone having their saved file corrupted and unusable. 

Please help out an old gamer here!

Edited by Daelyn
No question mark at end of title.

Use the unofficial downgrader Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com) make sure you use the one to downgrade it to 1.6.640, then redo the steps listed above.

shamino05 - "Someone told me to try using the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher, and it still wouldn't work."

I've already done that and all the steps you wrote, still nothing. 

What about the mods you had installed that required SKSE?  Do they also need an update?

Try disabling all your mods and starting just with the updated Skyrim.  Once you get that started add in the updated SKSE.  Then add in mods one at a time, and their dependencies, until you find the one with the problem.  Make sure you are using the updated version of any mods that are SKSE dependent.  There should be info about the status of updating individual mods on the mod pages. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 8:25 AM, NexBeth said:

What about the mods you had installed that required SKSE?  Do they also need an update?

Try disabling all your mods and starting just with the updated Skyrim.  Once you get that started add in the updated SKSE.  Then add in mods one at a time, and their dependencies, until you find the one with the problem.  Make sure you are using the updated version of any mods that are SKSE dependent.  There should be info about the status of updating individual mods on the mod pages. 

It may come to that. Would it also be possible to purge the mods via Vortex, then just delete the game directory and everything there, then reinstall the 1.6.640 files from the Steam download depot? The mods should reinstall from Vortex and nothing should be changed from how it used to work. I'm just thinking of a way to by pass going through the 400+ mods I have.

But you are referring to use the new version of the game right? And the new SKSE version and everything. I am concerned some mods won't work and it will destroy my saved game. If that would be the case, then going with the new version and updated mods won't help my situation.