custom race Mod assist request

ghowriter

So I made my custom race. She's a half-dragon. I won't get into the specifics why I won't use existing half dragon mods. I just have a question why something is happening in game and how to change it, if possible. So, I used a custom perk to apply all the racial abilities to the race. One of those abilities is the damage reduction. For this I used the armor-draogonhide spell. I chose this because it applies a custom scale-like overlay onto the characters skin. I want this overlay. The problem is that the overlay doesn't appear any more. The perk applies everything correctly, It's just the visual effect that's missing. I didnt create a custom effect so that's not the issue. I am using the built in armorff100 I think is the name of the effect. Like I said, it worked the very first time but hasn't since.

Any thoughts? Even if it's to apply the visual effect as a fake spell. That would work but I have no idea how to implement such a thing or if it's even possible.

Thnaks in advance for reading.

I really don't expect a reply anymore but I thought if I explained what I am trying to accomplish and what I've tried  already, someone might offer their expert opinion. So, I created my own custom half-dragon race and everything about it works perfectly with one exception. I want my half dragon to have scales but I am unable to edit textures because I never learned such skills. The game's Dragonhide spell applies a scale-like texture to the caster as well as damage resist. When I set this spell to auto cast on the race, it works flawlessly - the texture overlay is applied to my race and it's persistent. Exactly what I want. If I duplicate the spell and effect and then use those duplicates, the texture does not get applied - ever. It's almost as if the effect is hard coded to only work with the Dragonhide spell effect, ArmorFFSelf100. I've tried directly calling the effect, ShieldArmorRitualBodyFX, or something to that effect, to no avail. The game will simply not apply the effect without the spell. I even tried using a script to apply the effect, defaultaddeffectshaderscript, using the MagicArmorDragonFleshFXS effect shader. This also failed.

I have concluded that this particular effect shader is hardcoded to only be usable by the engine by the Dragonhide ArmorFFSelf100 effect is used. I am now scrapping the project and moving on to something with an actual community that supports and encourages others. I get that this is an old game and most have moved on but the traffice since my original post tells me that more than a few are still about and they're just ignoring requests for help.

Thanks to all who read my posts. Happy gaming.