Jump to content

Problem with the external hard drive "Windows 11"


Recommended Posts

My external hard drive has stopped working. The disc is no longer readable . When I connect the disc to my computer, the system asks me to format it.

There are very important files on the disc.

Does anyone know how to help me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could try removing the drive itself from the enclosure, install it into the computer, but, usually, when you see those kinds of errors, the drive itself has failed. Only way to get the data back, is send the drive out to a facility that has the tools and equipment for data recovery.

As a "poke and hope", could try a different USB port, or even a different computer, but, I expect the results will be the same.

And, as a REAL shot in the dark, try downloading 'recoverit' software, see if it can rebuild the partition tables and such on the drive. It *might* work, but, wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by HeyYou
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As HeyYou mentioned, try to remove your HD from the enclosure and try to connect it to standard SATA port as a first try. Sometimes SATA to USB converters in such boxes are failing or starting to work incorrectly. If it fails, it depends on how you're experienced with using computers and software in general. If beginner, it could be best to contact some firm and pay for data recovery. There are also specialized software and live Linux distributions for data rescue, like GParted and similar, but using such you must know what you're doing. As a last desperate move you can quick format this drive and trying use some recovery software like Recuva which will save what it recovered to another HD (as a golden rule - always save to another HD to avoid further overwrites on the original). But as names of files will only numbers, you must open all files for yourself to see if they're damaged or not. Using this method also the recovery will be never 100%.

So to summarize it:

1. Remove HD from enclosure and connect it as standard SATA.

If it fails and you're a beginner:

Find data recovery company and pay them for it - can be costly, but they know what they're doing.

If you're at least power user:

1. Try to find and use software for partition recovery  first - if there is problem here, with successful recovery all files can be still intact.

2. If it fails or you don't know how to use it, quick format this HD and use Recuva or similar software. But there is additional work involved and result will be never 100%

 

There are also another factors for a successful recovery, like type of HD - with mechanical drives there can be high chance to recover at least something, but failed flash memory or controller in SSD/pen drive/SSHD means the data are lost. Also the data mustn't be encrypted - there are some HDs with integrated encryption, failed encryption chip means a 100% loss too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, HeyYou said:

You could try removing the drive itself from the enclosure, install it into the computer, but, usually, when you see those kinds of errors, the drive itself has failed. Only way to get the data back, is send the drive out to a facility that has the tools and equipment for data recovery.

As a "poke and hope", could try a different USB port, or even a different computer, but, I expect the results will be the same.

And, as a REAL shot in the dark, try downloading 'recoverit' software, see if it can rebuild the partition tables and such on the drive. It *might* work, but, wouldn't hold my breath.

I connected the disc to other computers. I also took the drive out of the box and connected it directly via the SATA interface. The disc was in FAT format, now it looks like RAW.

https://prnt.sc/v7LGll3uBpXB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MORGAN6996 said:

I connected the disc to other computers. I also took the drive out of the box and connected it directly via the SATA interface. The disc was in FAT format, now it looks like RAW.

https://prnt.sc/v7LGll3uBpXB

Corrupted or unreadable partition tables..... Some variety of recovery software *might* be able to get your data back, but, if it does work, I would back up the drive to something else, and then stop using it......

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, HeyYou said:

Corrupted or unreadable partition tables..... Some variety of recovery software *might* be able to get your data back, but, if it does work, I would back up the drive to something else, and then stop using it......

J'ai résolu le problème. Le disque est au format RAW, alors qu'auparavant il était au format FAT.

Je suis tombé sur cet article : https://hetmanrecovery.com/fr/blog/programs-to-restore-the-file-system-raw-without-losing-data.htm

Certes, cela m'a coûté 97,95 $, mais ce n'est rien comparé à l'envoi du disque à un spécialiste. Je risquais de perdre mes fichiers pour toujours. Mais je ne peux pas me permettre de payer beaucoup d'argent.
Je vais maintenant vous expliquer comment j'ai procédé.
Tout d'abord, j'ai réussi à faire une copie du disque endommagé à l'aide de HDD Raw Copy Tool .
J'ai téléchargé le logiciel Hetman Partition Recovery, il a mappé mon disque RAW au format FAT et a lancé une analyse complète. Il a trouvé la plupart de mes fichiers et les a récupérés avec succès. Bien sûr, tous les fichiers n'ont pas pu être récupérés, mais j'ai eu de la chance : j'ai récupéré les plus importants.

Et oui, faites des copies des fichiers importants (disques) pour l'avenir.

Merci également à tous ceux qui ont essayé de m'aider 

Edited by MORGAN6996
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MORGAN6996 said:

J'ai résolu le problème. Le disque est au format RAW, alors qu'auparavant il était au format FAT.

Je suis tombé sur cet article : https://hetmanrecovery.com/fr/blog/programs-to-restore-the-file-system-raw-without-losing-data.htm

Certes, cela m'a coûté 97,95 $, mais ce n'est rien comparé à l'envoi du disque à un spécialiste. Je risquais de perdre mes fichiers pour toujours. Mais je ne peux pas me permettre de payer beaucoup d'argent.
Je vais maintenant vous expliquer comment j'ai procédé.
Tout d'abord, j'ai réussi à faire une copie du disque endommagé à l'aide de HDD Raw Copy Tool .
J'ai téléchargé le logiciel Hetman Partition Recovery, il a mappé mon disque RAW au format FAT et a lancé une analyse complète. Il a trouvé la plupart de mes fichiers et les a récupérés avec succès. Bien sûr, tous les fichiers n'ont pas pu être récupérés, mais j'ai eu de la chance : j'ai récupéré les plus importants.

Et oui, faites des copies des fichiers importants (disques) pour l'avenir.

Merci également à tous ceux qui ont essayé de m'aider 

Sorry man. I don't understand french. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@HeyYou:

Well, in short he writes that he was able to recover most of his files, using HDD Raw Copy Tool and Hetman Partition Recovery sofware. He paid almost 98$ (propably this software is commercial), but he don't regret it. Now he's happy and thanks you and others who tried to help him. So congrats HeyYou, this case ended happily thanks to you.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, RomanR said:

@HeyYou:

Well, in short he writes that he was able to recover most of his files, using HDD Raw Copy Tool and Hetman Partition Recovery sofware. He paid almost 98$ (propably this software is commercial), but he don't regret it. Now he's happy and thanks you and others who tried to help him. So congrats HeyYou, this case ended happily thanks to you.

Thank You Roman. 😄 Happy to be able to help. 🙂

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Oh no, I've been in a similar situation before, and it's nerve-wracking! First, try connecting the external hard drive to a different USB port or using a new cable – sometimes, it's just a connectivity issue.If that doesn't work and your system is urging you to format the drive, don't panic just yet. Consider using data recovery software like EaseUS or Recuva. Do many of you use Windows 11 Pro? I want to buy windows 11 professional, do you have any tips on installing it? Good luck with solving that hard drive issue!

Edited by JosiahWare
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...