Mods Hidden On Mass

heaveygunner99

Can anyone help me understand why the modding community is punishing the players for Larian not communication with the modding community? As of today 2/25/2024, many have decided to hide their mods and send an open letter to the devs to improve communication with Modders. 

ImprovedUI ReleaseReady at Baldur's Gate 3 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com) here is a link, go to the description at the latest log. 

I am genuinely concerned that many people got together and thought hiding mods would help the situation. Larian won't be affected by this at all and only the modding community will be so what gives?

Seems to me it was a bit of a "perfect storm" situation with a lot of drama in a community discord and a wonky patch giving rise to a lot of negative emotions in people who put a lot of time and investment into the game.

As mod users we need to look at ourselves and mostly try to be patient with mod creators, not complain en masse to them about their mods breaking upon a patch and not demanding them to be updated ASAP.

At the same time I would urge mod creators not to be too emotional, or at least take the time to process the emotions, and realise that the game does not have official support yet.
It's been Larian's modus operandi to be quiet for long periods while "cooking". This is not always ideal, but they don't seem to have a massive focus on PR. It's understandable and justified to ask for more communication, but do realise that communication can also lead to massive expectations and more drama.

It's a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation until official support is there.

I'm a noob when it comes to mod development but have been practising a bit with Blender to create an own armor. But I think I'll wait with any attempts until official support is there.

• Like 1

I read the letter and found it pretty reasonable. I'm disappointed because I really enjoy many of these mods, but I also have complete respect for the modders considering they provide these tools for free (honestly, they really don't owe us anything). It's understandably frustrating for the community but it looks like some patience is going to be necessary whilst the mod creators and Larian reach an accord.

It doesn't look like there is any conflict or bad blood and I can see why modders would be frustrated considering how long they have been waiting for communications to improve, especially when they are receiving backlash from some members of the community when their mods have issues (this isn't directed at you).

I do think that Larian will take notice of this though, considering how they have expressed their appreciation of mods and how the passion for them has increased. They have stated that they are working on it, which I'm certain the modders appreciate, however a little more communication on shareable information is what they want.

I'm hoping that since Larian have announced that patch 7 will bring official mod support that there will be a resolution of interests soon, however we'll need to wait and see what this looks like.

Much love to Larian and to the modders; I appreciate you all and I hope this is resolved to mutual satisfaction soon.

• Like 1

Basically, a lot of mod authors are throwing a tantrum because Larian is not communicating with them enough. Some of the posts have a "open letter to Larian." But their requests are...being worked on. They are just being impatient, and like I said, are just acting like toddlers who don't get their way right this instant!!

Larian has already stated they are working for mod support--not just mod support, but CROSS PLATFORM. That is a feat in and of itself. But some of these mod authors have a holier-than-thou attitude and think that Larian owes them something. Larian could just not support mods at all--full stop--and it would be within their rights to do so. 

This whole drama reeks of entitlement and the mod authors delisting their mods, which does more harm to the modding community than Larian's patches ever did, should be absolutely ashamed of their disgusting behavior. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, andy198913 said:

I read the letter and found it pretty reasonable. I'm disappointed because I really enjoy many of these mods, but I also have complete respect for the modders considering they provide these tools for free (honestly, they really don't owe us anything). It's understandably frustrating for the community but it looks like some patience is going to be necessary whilst the mod creators and Larian reach an accord.

It doesn't look like there is any conflict or bad blood and I can see why modders would be frustrated considering how long they have been waiting for communications to improve, especially when they are receiving backlash from some members of the community when their mods have issues (this isn't directed at you).

I do think that Larian will take notice of this though, considering how they have expressed their appreciation of mods and how the passion for them has increased. They have stated that they are working on it, which I'm certain the modders appreciate, however a little more communication on shareable information is what they want.

I'm hoping that since Larian have announced that patch 7 will bring official mod support that there will be a resolution of interests soon, however we'll need to wait and see what this looks like.

Much love to Larian and to the modders; I appreciate you all and I hope this is resolved to mutual satisfaction soon.

Don't get me wrong. All respect goes to the mod authors. The letter is 100% reasonable because communication between the modding community and the devs would improve both parties. Problem is, the devs are making fixes to their game and want to focus on that and the mod authors should just send a letter. There's absolutely no need to hide these mods because Larian won't think twice to them doing this. 

• Like 1