Requesting Bethini input

Indio21

Hello, I am seeking input as to which settings in Bethini directly influence GPU usage. My GPU is maxing and causing frame lag. Below are some screen shots of a couple of the areas. Note also, and solely for troubleshooting this, there are no landscape, mountain, grass, tree, or road mods active and Falkreath is vanilla, which that is its entrance seen in the one screen shot. It seems I need to do another post for the other screen shot

Skyrim Special Edition 3_13_2024 11_42_57 AM.jpg

It would seem my ini files got reset, which was an issue I thought I had already worked through. I will try an ask about this here seeings how I got the thread going. I 'think' the reset either happened when I had steam verify the integrity of game files, which for some reason it found some gone (not sure if that was a mishap from switching MMs or not, or lengthy testing of one) OR if it was because I did in game setting changes after I had made manual edits to the ini files.

Does anyone know which might have caused it? If we verify the integrity of game files in steam will it add the default inis back if it detects changes. I mention not changing in game settings (like adjusting brightness and turning off auto save options, which I did) because an old video of Gamerpoets mentions once manual editing of inis start, not to use game settings. This is a very old video so I am not sure if it still applies. I just want to make sure I don't do it again! Thanks

any time you start the skyrim launcher/Fallout launcher instead of using either the script extender SKSE/F4SE or the base game executable it resets your ini files.  This is true of all Bethesda titles and is why you should never start the game with the launcher.

40 minutes ago, sattyre said:

any time you start the skyrim launcher/Fallout launcher instead of using either the script extender SKSE/F4SE or the base game executable it resets your ini files.  This is true of all Bethesda titles and is why you should never start the game with the launcher.

It wasn't the launcher, I changed the in game settings adjusting the brightness and unticking the save game on rest, travel, etc. I also had to verify the game files with steam. I just am not sure which reset my ini files. Thanks

13 hours ago, sattyre said:

verifying from steam will reset any changes to vanilla files including ini.

Great, thanks, so using the in game settings menu after the ini files have been manually edited is not damaging. I want to make sure I can use it. Adjusting the brightness is something I adjust in game at times to see areas. Leaving game to adjust it seems an inconvenience but will do it if necessary.

I don't believe the ingame settings menu changes the inis, but if it does at all, it simply changes the settings you touched, unlike the launcher or verifying through steam,  which reset the ini's back to vanilla settings.

Posted (edited)

Ok, good to know, I will follow up on it. GP in his video mentioned that using it, the in game settings, would reset the ini files, but the video is from like 2017 or older. Unfortunately, I cannot find it now for reference as it was not the specific topic of the video. It was just mentioned in passing as info to know. I thought if it did, it would have been addressed in a game update or maybe something like the USSEP, but IDK. I will have to test it out to be sure then, but I sure hope you are right about it only editing that specific area.

GP did show that all the in game settings can be adjusted via the ini files. I have not confirmed them all to what is in the updated game inis, but did find the brightness control in Bethini, see below. That is the one I am concerned about as would be a PITA to have to leave game to just adjust brightness. The Gamma in Bethini is for brightness.

OMG, it seems Nexus reduced the file size we can use from like, IIRC, 125kb to 40.64kb. I have reduced this file to 15kb and it stil will not take it, grrrr. Well I cannot get it to take a 15kb screen shot of Bethini, but the Gamma in the Basics tab adjusts in game brightness

Edited by Indio21
file upload size and workings sucks!!!!

In skyrim specifically, i really noticed a huge difference at later levels, on how long a load door would take to process if you leave the "save on variables" ticked in the ingame settings menu.  With them ticked at level 40, say, it might take 1-2 minutes for a load door to process.  At level 40 with the "save on" variables unticked or off, the door would load substantially faster in say 15 - 30 seconds.  Now I typically have them unticked for all bethesda games because the time load doors would take with those variables on in skyrim would eventually become game breaking.

I've never had an issue with ini files being changed by the ingame settings menu.  I use Bethini to start and then tweek ini files to suit myself.  Always save a backup of your ini files in case they are accidently reverted to vanilla.