Vampire "black face" bug and mods

Jep1st

So I'm experiencing the famous "black face" bug with vampires in Skyrim SE. It doesn't happen with my player character who is a vampire and also Serana, Harkon and Vingalmo (high elf at castle volkihar) look normal. Pretty much all other vampires have the bug.

I went to the burned down Hall of Vigilant where there are dead vampires and saved there and then tried to disable any and all mods that I had that I could think that will change either vampires or face. It still persisted and I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas on what to try?

Main mods I use for making characters look better include things like CBBE, Racemenu, better looking elves (tried to disable, no luck), Bijin Skin (tried, nope), improved eyes, marks of beauty, expressive facegen morphs (also tried, no luck) and apachi skyhair.

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The only way I was able to correct this problem was to fire up SSEEdit (xEdit), load up the entire LO, and apply the "show conflicts" filter in SSEEdit.  Then went looking for changes to the vampire race records, and dragged and dropped the files I needed to change into an override file for a patch.  Was some time ago, and have a few black face bugs returning, where the faces are not black, but with crazy patterns and shades on them.  Haven't chased this problem(s) down yet.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 3:22 AM, 7531Leonidas said:

The only way I was able to correct this problem was to fire up SSEEdit (xEdit), load up the entire LO, and apply the "show conflicts" filter in SSEEdit.  Then went looking for changes to the vampire race records, and dragged and dropped the files I needed to change into an override file for a patch.  Was some time ago, and have a few black face bugs returning, where the faces are not black, but with crazy patterns and shades on them.  Haven't chased this problem(s) down yet.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to save this for later if it happens again.

Before reading your reply, I was able to find an alternate solution by finding a mod called "Cosmetic Vampire Overhaul SE". A mod that used to be here on Nexus but has since been removed since I was able to see translations to it but the actual mod page is unavailable. But I found it on another site and that fixed the black face bug.