Condition Confusion - ANDs and ORs are giving me grief.

2 hours ago, DieFeM said:

With this condition, no matter what companion you have, or if you have any, it's always to be true as soon as you meet the health and the level.

For example, if you have Danse as companion, Deacon and Nick would still return 0. Since you're using OR it will always be true, because there is going to be at least 2 of them that are not your companion.

The solution would be to use AND instead. Danse is not your current companion AND Deacon is not your current companion AND Nick is not your current companion.

Hold the phone... 🫢 Can I do that? I was under the impression that if I made all the companion checks ANDs that it would fail, because not all of the checked companions could be currently following at the exact same time.

2 hours ago, LarannKiar said:

If you'd like to avoid factions:

Subject        GetPlayerTeammate              ==         0.000       AND       (Danse)

Subject        GetPlayerTeammate              ==         0.000       AND       (Deacon)

Subject        GetPlayerTeammate              ==         0.000       AND       (Nick)

Again, I can use all ANDs without consequences if those companions are not all following at the exact same time? Holy moly... If that is the case, then I have oh-so-many changes to make to my Skyrim mods. The hours of frustration and grief that could have been avoided...!  🤒

4 minutes ago, Lollia said:

Hold the phone... 🫢 Can I do that? I was under the impression that if I made all the companion checks ANDs that it would fail, because not all of the checked companions could be currently following at the exact same time.

Well, not all companions can be currently following you at the exact same time, that's right, and that's why the first example works, but all companions can be "NOT following" you at the same time, that's the point.

So when you check if they are not following you, you need to use AND, because none (AND) of them should be following you, as opposite to any (OR) of them should be following you.

So when you use OR, as soon as one of them is true the whole stack of contiguous OR is true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieFeM said:

Well, not all companions can be currently following you at the exact same time, that's right, and that's why the first example works, but all companions can be "NOT following" you at the same time, that's the point.

So when you check if they are not following you, you need to use AND, because none (AND) of them should be following you, as opposite to any (OR) of them should be following you.

So when you use OR, as soon as one of them is true the whole stack of contiguous OR is true.

Okay, I think I see what you mean. 👀 Sometimes I really hate my dozy brain. I will load up the esp and change the values anew.

Skyrim-mods-wise, I'm coming off a high of hope and plunging really low just now. 😞 I see now that the one mod I haven't touched since last August is destined to remain a monster of duplicate dialogue boxes, no matter what the state of the ANDs and ORs. I just got back from looking it over...

jack-nicholson-the-shining.gif

Far too many things can go wrong with it, so its reliance on absolute ANDs is a must. Want to see a picture of it? This is just for one of the tasks that spouses can give the player, and for one single spouse voice type at that:

T5Spouseviewt2.thumb.jpg.4edcbf4a03eacb761f777cb918fcd4ac.jpg

t562stagesv1.thumb.jpg.6b453d4e8d2ce7ed9b57d2450b6d3635.jpg

I made those images as part of a small set of pictures to remind myself as to why I hit burnout with that particular mod. Have I mentioned that sometimes I really hate my brain? 🤪

Well, let's see if I can save the Fallout 4 mod at least. 😅

Yeah, complex conditions are a headache. There's documentation on how to use them, but the lack of parenthesis makes it an absolute mess.

For example, the expression

• ((A AND B) OR (C AND D))

Can be represented by the logically equivalent list of Condition Items

• (A OR C AND B OR C AND A OR D AND B OR D).

https://ck.uesp.net/wiki/Category:Conditions#Complex_Conditions

You have to have a very clear mind to try to make any sense of that gibberish.