Sound modding tools

sn0wsh00

Posted (edited)

I've recently been working on audio swapping in Elden Ring and I thought it would be helpful to share the tools I've been using:

• UXM Unpacker 2.2.0.0: unpacks the soundbank (.BNK) files
  • Rewwise: contains bnk2json, the program that will be used to pack and unpack the soundbank files
  • Wwise: converts sound files into the .WEM format. The trial version should be enough if you're just converting files.
  • Vswarte (chain)'s fork of ModEngine2: a version of ModEngine2 modified to play custom .BNK files. You need at GitHub account to download
  • Vswarte (chain)'s Wwise-tooling: online tool that can edit .BNK files. It's also useful for finding which .WEM file corresponds to which soundID.

For UXM Unpacker, make sure to unpack all the files, not just the sound and sd files. Otherwise, the .BNK files won't unpack.

When you drag a .BNK file on top of bnk2json.exe, a new folder containing the soundbank's .WEM files, as well as a .JSON file, will be created. To repack, simply drag that folder on top of bnk2json.exe. When it comes to Elden Ring modding, bnk2json is to soundbank files as WitchyBND is to .DCX files.

Here's a tutorial written by Themyys that goes into more details on how to use bnk2json: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lNov-a0DwnMY2yZywH3hFYzuoDfndofguvZmAnLDo-U/edit

Edited by sn0wsh00
more details

• 2 weeks later...

What about voice file? The ID can be looked up in TalkParam. Want to play "Don't let your emotions stay your blade" but only able to do so at Seaside grace near Yura's camp. 

I figured it out myself.

• All voice files are under sd/enus. 
  • To find the id of a voice line, search for the line in "TalkMsg" in DS Map Studio, Text Param panel. Only 9 digits "talks" xxxoooooo are voice. 
  • The voice xxxoooooo is reference from "sd/enus/vcxxx.bnk". Load the bnk to Wwise-tooling and search for "Play_vxxxoooooo". 
  • Follow the tutorial to copy entries from "sd/enus/vcxxx.bnk" to "sd/enus/vcmain.bnk". The structure for voice is different from sound, but the principle is the same. 1) find "Play_vxxxoooooo" and "Stop_vxxxoooooo". 2) find the "external_id: ******". 3) Now there should be an entry with "id: ******", search recursively for its "direct_parent_id" until one entry SHARED by "sd/enus/vcxxx.bnk" and "sd/enus/vcmain.bnk". Copy all entries in the sequence from "sd/enus/vcxxx.bnk" to "sd/enus/vcmain.bnk" right above the SHARED entry. Delete unused "children" items in copied entries and add the last copied entry to the "children" of the SHARED entry. 
  • Load the new "sd/enus/vcmain.bnk" in Mod Engine 2. 

Now PlaySE(10000, SoundType.Voice, 318010060); in event editing make my Isshin say "Don't let your emotion stay your blade!".