Texture reflection too bright in direct sunlight

This paper texture is fine in indirect light but burns the eyes in direct sunlight.

What should I do to tone down the direct light reflectivity ?

(I'm on a texture frenzy).

DDS Super bright reflection.png

Tone down the specular (make it darker), or its settings (reflective/specular strength) within the material file or nif (if no material present).

You could play around with the green channel a bit (red is for being shiny, like metal), less green is less reflection.

Hum, I tried setting the BGSM Specular Multiplier to 0.1, no difference so unchecked Specular Enabled, no difference.

Enabled Specular and set the texture to sold 0,0,0, black, no difference 😞

SKK, try turning down the Fresnel Power amount to 1.0 in your material file, and see what happens.  It's right after Specular mult and smoothness in the material editor.

Fresnel power changes the amount of light reflected on the object depending on your viewing angle.  I haven't tried this myself in FO4 (never had a need really), but it's one thing you could try in your situation, I think.

I'm baffled. But its not (just) your texture.

I just took the highpolynote and its bgsm, multiplied everything by 10! no change... 🤨 (with nifskope at least) changing the settings for the nif makes no difference.

There should absolutely be a difference ... but ... well ... there isn't 😕

What's the white value on your asset?  As a reference, if you can think about staring at the sun, the brightest thing in game - that's white FF FF FF.  Your paper might have white value too high.

I think that's too high.  The "white" in game is a result of receiving lighting, and you are supposed to consider how much value the lighting would add to the base color.  I'd try lower, like 160 or something, and then see what that looks like as a reference to adjust from there.

This texture stuff is rather unfun so I'll call it a day on the paper concept and stick to my original cardboard which is good enough for the whole 10 seconds anyone will actually look at it.

Appreciate the help tho folks.