Texture reflection too bright in direct sunlight

I guess any further posting from me is unnecessary, but just for the sake of providing a reference :

34555-1715297145-1924008139.png

This light grey (188, 188, 188) looks like this lab coat in game :

34555-1687214599-1747404690.png

This is about as bright a white as I would go, and the asset looks white under any lighting conditions.  

In S the reflection values are adjusted like this. Red - does not reflect, Green - default reflection, yellow - glass, liquid, metal. Accordingly, the tone (darker - lighter) of these 3 colors regulates the power of reflection. The most brilliant color, chrome, is a light spruce color. In some bgs files, due to the need to support this color, S is converted to bs1 instead of bs5. 

I tried both specular_s map solid Red (255,0,0) #ff0000 and specular_s map solid Green (0,255,0) #00ff00 neither of which had any effect on the  reflection generated by the light grey (230,230,230) document:

230 document with red specular.jpg

3 hours ago, SKKmods said:

I tried both specular_s map solid Red (255,0,0) #ff0000 and specular_s map solid Green (0,255,0) #00ff00 neither of which had any effect on the  reflection generated by the light grey (230,230,230) document:

230 document with red specular.jpg

Perhaps it should be darker, almost brown? I always make my cotton clothes speckled, almost brown. She looks fine in the game. Does not reflect rays. It might be worth considering shine and reflection separately. Color is its own shine (the nature of the material, paper is red, yellow is liquid), and tonality (darker/lighter) is reflection.

I'll keep it simple and stick to a white/grey limit at or around  (160, 160, 160).

Or I'll keep it even more simple and just stick to papyrus scripting !

4 minutes ago, SKKmods said:

I'll keep it simple and stick to a white/grey limit at or around  (160, 160, 160).

Or I'll keep it even more simple and just stick to papyrus scripting !

🤷‍♂️ It probably doesn't matter. I just wrote what I use myself. I don't look at colors based on numerical values. I do this. I make texture D. Then I fill the Solid scan with the indicated colors. I copy solid directly into texture D. Using the eraser material in percentages from 20 to 70, I erase Solid. Using exposure I equalize the brightness of objects in the uv texture s. The results in the game don't seem to be bad. Everything behaves according to theory.

• 2 months later...

Just had a similar situation where I'm using "white" and remembered this topic.

The original object/texture/material has no shine, no glow etc.

However any value above 63% gray (that's 99.99.99 in RGB color code) will make it shine/glow. The higher the white value, the worse it gets. the full 100% will glow like a neon-light, when in full sunlight. (even with a black specular!)

Been there before, but it's been a while. Anyway, for what its worth, To get anything to look white (without it lighting up (in sunlight)) you need to use a light grey instead.

So,