Q: How exactly is .980 preventing bundled CC .esl from showing up as mods?

what did they change that allows this?

the UserDownloadedContent.txt doesn't seem to control it, even though it has the same format as Plugins.txt; if you remove the asterisks without making it RO it just puts them back, but even making it read-only they still won't show up in the in-game mod load order browser... if you de-asterisk them in your Plugins.txt, they'll still load, too.

how?! is there a flag in the mods that excludes it? How the hell are they doing this? I don't like that I have to move them into a holding directory to make them not load; the papyrus script that triggers their wrapper missions when you exit the vault is simple enough, but they shouldn't be loading in the first place if I've disabled them. What mechanism are they using forcing them to load if they exist? And not show up as standard mods? A vanilla .980 shows no mods installed at all if you look.

It's infuriating. I thought at first it was like Skyrim SE, that they integrated them into the base game, but that doesn't seem to be it at all; it's apparently standard modular modding, even the improvised weapons distlist for vendors to sell ammo for the new weapons is a little fragment script in the mod itself...

so either it IS like Skyrim, integrated, or there's a trick to it, and I don't know it, and it's bugging the hell me.

I believe (based on observation rather than actual knowledge) that the game automatically loads any ESM/ESL it finds in the \Data folder. 

Only ESP are controlled by plugins.txt loading *stars

Which is why I have Windows command files that physically MOVE the DLC and CC ESM/P files out of \Data when I dont want them in a game (95% of them).

FO4SwitchCC.CMD FO4SwitchDLC.CMD

2 hours ago, BobWyglz1 said:

there's a trick to it, and I don't know it, and it's bugging the hell me.

Have you tried activating them with the creations interface in the main menu?

I just want to understand the mechanism they're using, moreso than actually disabling anything... I hate that they don't show up as mods; if SKK is right and they're just auto-enabling everything they find, still doesn't explain why they don't show up, I suspect there's something in the header block that says "this is ours" and I'll investigate that, and sure, moving them is always our best option; having a "disabled" directory under Data\ to hold stuff isn't that big of a deal and a simple enough script. (I'm on linux but .cmd or .sh this is trivial, but thanks anyway for helping others, SKK!)  I just want to know what's going on, more than manipulating it, just yet.

Treating a lite plugin as if it's just a given you want it enabled, I mean, if so, ugh... I get that they're doing most of it for the console kiddies and we get the "benefit" (quoted for disgust) of these changes whether or not we want them. If it's part of the nexgen recompile, and not something in the mod itself, maybe I can find the code/instruction with a debugger and get Ian or Ryan to add it as a configuration toggle to F4SE or Buffout4 ... things that infuriate me tend to motivate me. That whole "how DARE you!" thing.

Thanks for replies!

> That whole "how DARE you!" thing.

Whilst I have been philosophically and practically committed to keeping tech platforms "always green" up to date for many years in tech leadership and policy positions, Fallout 4 1.10.980 may finally break me as an individual contributor to revert back to an older build for development.

That is a "less good" (corpspeak euphemism) sign.

Adding an esp filename to Fallout4.ccc will render it undisablable in the Vortex plugins tab (restart Vortex) though the file itself can be removed by disabling the mod it comes from.  If you make a mod out of the cc files and blank the Fallout4.ccc you will be able to treat them as mods in Vortex, I just confirmed this is still the case.  Again I neither recommend for or against this.

diziet