Cannot use most crafting stations.

Artie3

Posted (edited)

Hello again forum, I recently ran into a problem with the crafting stations as the title suggests.

For some reason, my character will not interact with any crafting station that isn’t the alchemy or enchanting stations. And I don’t mean that one glitch where they rub up against it for 5 seconds before stopping the action. Whenever I try to interact with a crafting station that isn’t the above two examples, nothing happens. No animation, no crafting menu, nothing.

I’m not entirely sure what mods are causing this, but here are my guesses. It could be an error with cbbe (specifically the 3ba add on) and bodyslide, as I did alter the slider maximum in the config file for body slide and boosted it further though the cbbe morph sliders in racemenu. I also added moonlight tales mini and growl so those could be causing problems, but I haven’t interacted with the broken stations before installing those so I can’t say for sure.  Other potential causes are FNIS, the wizard warrior, HIMBO, sensual dancer, 3PCO, and maybe XPMSSE or CBPC, but the last two should be fine and all of the others are unlikely expect sensual dancer or FNIS as those are the only ones that effect animations specifically. The rest of my mods are either required mods for the above examples or texture and model replacers that shouldn’t be affecting the game’s animations.

I’d appreciate any potential fixes for this, and thank you for your time.

Edited by Artie3
clarification

Small update: I managed to fix this by using the console command “player.tai” on my character twice. I don’t know what caused the problem in the first place though, so any answers to that would be appreciated.

player. tai has to be triggered manually when a mod that swaps control with an NPC takes effect and doesn't rescind that control status after it's done with its thing.

For instance, Proteus's "take control  of NPC" process is prone to this issue, because even after switching control back to your player character, tai is still turned off for player.

I think I've seen it happen a few times with Defeat as well, but in that case, I'd gander it's more of a random glitch than a repeatable issue (ie one that is almost guaranteed to occur).

Furthermore, in the case of Proteus, note that Proteus's default hotkey for take control of NPC" is the same hotkey used by SL for vertical repositioning, so it can be triggered accidentally very easily if you happen to use SL, and the hotkey is enabled by default, so once installed, even if you're not aware, the hotkey is compromised.