Overriding the default player movement?

rlenclub

Hello, all. I've been running New Vegas for a first playthrough, and I've been enjoying it a lot. One thing that peeves me, however, is the player movement. It kinda sucks, and I'm sure you would all agree it's not a strong element of the gameplay.

I want to make a movement overhaul mod, ideally replacing the built-in functions with something better that someone already put together (I was thinking a modified pmove.c from Quake 3). I'm an experienced programmer, but nothing on GECKScript (or whatever it's called). I'm learning right now, but I do have some questions for anyone willing to answer.

Is there a potential/known way to do what I'm proposing?

Is movement hardcoded?

Assuming there is no way to override the built-in movement directly: how much work am I gonna be in for when I try disabling movement entirely and implementing a replacement manually?

All responses will be appreciated. Thanks.

There are a few movement replacers available from here (836 files), Fallout 3 and even Oblivion.  If it would be any help, you could reverse engineer them and see how they were put together.  Off the top o my head, there are movement changes in Bouncing Natural Breasts by thaumx https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35047 .  There are others that do a complete overhaul of the animations.  From Oblivion, I use parts of the NoMaam Breathing Idles and Womans Move.  Since the game use the same type of animation file (.kdf) any of the animations would work as a replacer.

I have never tried to do animations, but I think that along with GECK, you would need to use Blender V2.49 to do the bone orientation, mesh parenting and weighting.