W3 Modding Cautionary Tale

Posted (edited)

I am hoping that the new modding script localization script update will make modding less game breaking prone.

This is a story of too many mods that were all tested and all worked as advertised with no script merger errors and straightforward merges.  But still too many and the problem is I don't know which ones in combination were problematic.

Got my game modded working exactly as I wanted and literally everything functioned as it should  .... and it was very impressive IMO

But when I went actually play there was no issues until I fought the Griffin .... not one crash not one issue.  Everything worked perfectly and I did a lot of testing and playing in White Orchard

However, immediately after I picked up the Griffins loot..... my game was unplayable because the inventory screen was out of sync with the actual inventory .... and every save after was equally messed up in the UI with no way to fix.  Note that no other monster loot caused this  issue up to this point.  Or it may have been the crossbow boing inserted into the inventory by the game before the Griffin.

Even removing all mods didn't fix the issue because the save was messed up from the very beginning by a mod conflict.  Going back and removing mods well before the Griffin didn't fix either.

Individual modders would probably never figure out if their scripts are causing an issue like this, alone or in combination with other mods because they don't test rare events like inventory insertions or individual quest scripts firing.

I am guessing this issue was a one or both of the Magic Spells mod and the Firearms mod doing un-4.04 things to the save ..... but it could have been any other mod and it is very difficult to troubleshoot ......  pity they are both great mods.

Perhaps it was Alchemy which is also a great mod.

I am going to let the dust settle and see what the modding landscape is like after a few months  after RedKit W3.

Current gen advanced AIs are just starting to play the mainstream computer games we play and are quite excited about that  ......   really having them play our games start to finish in theri timeframe is probably the only way modding can really blossom and may get mainstream gaming out of its boring rut.

Edited by Sirandar888