CK Wont launch with unpacked materials

Can anyone confirm that Creation Kit won't launch when you use the following line inside the CreationKitCustom.ini?

[Materials]

bUseCompiledDB=0

(this is mandatory if you want to create a custom model with a custom texture)

Unfortunately, when it's set to 0 (it reads the unpacked files from BAE and not the compiled one) CK opens but as soon as you select Starfield.esm as a master file and click OK, there is an infinite loading. I tried to wait for 2 hours but it didnt help.

When it's set to 1, everything opens fine without any issue but you cannot create a new material with Material Editor which is needed as you MUST have a new .mat file for custom textures.

MAybe I missed something but right now this is not High or Critical bug, but rather Blocker 🙂 

On 6/19/2024 at 3:58 AM, AngelWilly said:

Can anyone confirm that Creation Kit won't launch when you use the following line inside the CreationKitCustom.ini?

[Materials]

bUseCompiledDB=0

(this is mandatory if you want to create a custom model with a custom texture)

Unfortunately, when it's set to 0 (it reads the unpacked files from BAE and not the compiled one) CK opens but as soon as you select Starfield.esm as a master file and click OK, there is an infinite loading. I tried to wait for 2 hours but it didnt help.

When it's set to 1, everything opens fine without any issue but you cannot create a new material with Material Editor which is needed as you MUST have a new .mat file for custom textures.

MAybe I missed something but right now this is not High or Critical bug, but rather Blocker 🙂 

AngelWilly, did you figure out how to get past this? From your post on another thread I assume you did as you have it working. For others, can you explain what you did? Was it placing the unpacked .ba2 files in a directory other than the Data folder in Starfield?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, SammyPeer said:

AngelWilly, did you figure out how to get past this? From your post on another thread I assume you did as you have it working. For others, can you explain what you did? Was it placing the unpacked .ba2 files in a directory other than the Data folder in Starfield?

I didn't fix that. What I did was the following.

1. Unpacked materials and textures libraries with the BAE tool

2. I put bUseCompiledDB=0 into CreationKitCustom.ini (when there is 0, you can edit materials)

3. I opened a random .mat file (in my case it was some material from HardTarget), you just double-click that .mat file and it opens in a separate window without the Creation Kit

4. There is a button on top to create a new material, I clicked on that and created a new material for my custom weapon in its corresponding folder

5. I put all my custom textures into their proper fields (color texture to Albedo, metallic into metallic one etc...)

6. I saved this material with the new changes

7. I opened CreationKitCustom.ini and changed bUseCompiledDB=0 -> bUseCompiledDB=1

8. I opened the Creation Kit and loaded the main Starfield.esm together with my .esm plugin 

9. Everything loaded up perfectly, I just assigned the new material to the new weapon I've created

There is a Material Editor tab in the Creation Kit under the "view" option. You can still see the material you've created or any other material, but you cannot edit them. For that you would need to close the Creation Kit and change bUseCompiledDB=0 again.
That is my way, maybe there is a better way and I am just stupid but until I know the proper process, this is the only one that works for me.

Edited by AngelWilly

9 hours ago, 1NightShade1 said:

Thanks for this post! However have you had this error come up?

You cannot save a copy of this material. Shader Model: is locked.

I can't select the shader for some option.

Nope I did not have this error. Could you show me an image of it?
You do have materials unlocked right (bUseCompiledDB=0)

• 2 months later...