Tweaking Enemy Scaling (in Late levels)

rjbarroso

hi,

this days i no longer do "Normal" playthroughs, i do what you can call "New game Plus".
I achieve this by modding:
-  areadata (so all areas max level is set to 20)

- APR_base (so max enemy lvl is set to 20 or lvl limit is removed)

witht this in place after the Class story (Tutorial), i boost the character to 20 (and i limit it to 20), and it does work nicelly (so can focus on story and combat only).

But here is the part that i feel it does NOT work well at late levels (level 20), creatures of rank Elite and above need HP or Defense adjustment since they are currently "melting way too fast". But everything below those ranks feels nicelly balanced.

For example the 1st Ogre fight at Ostagar Tower, at lvl 10 it feels a balanced fight, that last. At lvl 20 no so much (and in this case he is actually lvl 21), he just goes down with a couple of swings.

So i m trying to look for help where do i find the "2DA" that controls how scaling behaves, because currently i can only find the Generics, meaning if i mess with them it will Hurt Lower levels that i feel that are Fine. It should be something in game that "Defines" the Scaling Curve so i can set it more agressive on later levels (only). Unless the Scaling is Linear (i suspect it is) and if thats the case, i am screwed 😞

Posted (edited)

like i stated above, both "areadata" and "APR_base" are already set and working fine.

what i m looking for is something that defines the "Curve" of the scaling.

as a workaround i could go to difficulty, or even "autoscale_ct", but those are Global, it would mess with lower levels (that i think are perfectly balanced), and i just want to mess with either the HP or resistances of the higher levels.
In other words, find the scaling curve, and make it more agressive on higher levels mobs, and leaving lower levels untoutched.

Edited by rjbarroso

• 1 month later...

Yes. The game has always had a problem with the difficulty curve. The game gets easier and easier as you gain levels, which I guess some people like since it feels like you get stronger but it takes aways the challange after a while. No matter what mods I have used, this problems always exist. Sadly I dont think there is an easy solution.  The fScale modifier makes a massive impact, but it wont change the curve I dont think. One possible way would be to tweak the base stats of the enemies and combine it with the scaling modifiers. You would set up the enemies in the game to be weak initially and then have greater scaling. That would be a huge task to get it right though, as you would have to do a ton of testing to get it right, if its even possible. 

Im not sure if the scaling is linear, but it seems like the player just scales better than the enemies. Not to mention we make use of our abilities much better than the AI, so the more options we get with higher levels, the stronger we get relative to the enemies. A health boost that would almost be exponential with levels would help but I dont know how you would do that tbh.

image.thumb.png.2ad05cfd8df6074ff299daddc23b15ed.png

image.png.1b16bedb896780c704c4babdbc2d4d1c.png

Increasing fScale and fHealthScale would make a massive difference. However that would make early game impossible. Maybe one could decrease the flat (base) health simultaneously to compensate for this, but again, this would be near impossible to get right. One can also tweak individual units in this file:

image.thumb.png.77b73d53e9db084d37dd7325cdf73ff9.png

Not sure where they get the ID from, since not all creature types exist in this file. Here one can tweak individual passive for enemy types. For instance, under prop, 11 is armor. So Broodmother has 2 extra armor.