Can someone help with this

joegilliam

My Fallout 4 updated without me realizing it again. I have the latest now,  I waited for the f4se to also update to the newest version, I downloaded it and it is not registering when I go to start the game.  according to the mod page, it is the right version for the game  I have installed.  It begins like it will load then just crashes back to the desktop. 

Is the the f4se just not compatible or do you think it might be the mods I have? I see the collections here and none of the updated ones  (984)  and noticed none have any cbbe mod or Aaf-related mod in their mod list.

Not compatible?

On 7/2/2024 at 2:23 AM, joegilliam said:

My Fallout 4 updated without me realizing it again. I have the latest now,  I waited for the f4se to also update to the newest version, I downloaded it and it is not registering when I go to start the game.  according to the mod page, it is the right version for the game  I have installed.  It begins like it will load then just crashes back to the desktop. 

Is the the f4se just not compatible or do you think it might be the mods I have? I see the collections here and none of the updated ones  (984)  and noticed none have any cbbe mod or Aaf-related mod in their mod list.

Not compatible?

If you are trying to load your pre udpate mod list to your update game , yes it will crash.

While some mods will still work, not nearly all of them .

Also even if F4SE is updated, many F4SE dependent mods may not yet be updated, to the new version of F4se ( and sadly may never will)

You need to cull your list of mods and get the game working vanilla,

and then step by step add until you have enough mods acting on the game to make it interesting for you (but the game still working of course)

I may just be easier to rollback to pre update version .163, via one of the roll back utilities on nexus and then LOCK DOWN your 377160.acf files and set it to read only. (otherwise Steam will "help" you with an update over and over).

This reminds me to first ask the question - are you using a Collection? when responding to future posts.

I keep forgetting that when I see 400+ mod lists that these obviously aren't coming from seasoned modders - they simply wouldn't make the basic cry for help.

These kind of posts would come from people who most certainly wouldn't be pulling 400+ "random" mods out their wazoo trying to make them work either - they'd be getting a collection.   

Edited by fraquar

On 7/12/2024 at 2:59 AM, fraquar said:

This reminds me to first ask the question - are you using a Collection? when responding to future posts.

I keep forgetting that when I see 400+ mod lists that these obviously aren't coming from seasoned modders - they simply wouldn't make the basic cry for help.

These kind of posts would come from people who most certainly wouldn't be pulling 400+ "random" mods out their wazoo trying to make them work either - they'd be getting a collection.   

Agree. The problem with the whole "collection" nonsense.
You have gamers that do not have any knowledge of how to mod this (pile of shite) game engine , and why should they?

They think that this should work. They just want to play the game. Download a collection, it must be good. 

I don't blame them, I blame the rocket scientist that though that "collections" in its current state is a good thing.

Unless the collections are heavly moderated, and backed by people who can support the users and help them.... *sigh*
This so stupid that I have no words.

Edited by DjinnKiller

On 7/2/2024 at 2:23 AM, joegilliam said:

Not compatible?

AAF is something you have to get to work seperatly from any Nexus collection you may download.

I apologize I overread that particular portion of your post.

As others alluded to, it is generally best practice not to download a whole collection but merely use it as a guide to what mods may be interesting you and then donwload that.

There are some very short collections lists that work well ( though fewer than ever before due to the update and Collections mod links not having been updated so if u run the updated game, then collections will almost never work for you as an in-toto download)

As I mentioned earlier getting AAF to work is a whole day in and of itself for most.

You may want to check this thread that explains it. Do not be intimidated by the long list of animations added (you need only  a couple) and the long list of mods listed athe end that may use AAF on there (just pick one to run that you may like. I recommend SEU, its remarkable bug free)

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/139374-aaf-the-f*#@ing-manual-~-adult-oriented-setup-guide-7thapril2024/

As for the other mods you like:

Please let us know what direction you ;like your game to go, or what collection you were looking at for more specific advice.

Also I wish to aoplogize this post is what I should have written right away but it was late at night in my timezone and I did not do my due diligence.

@djinnkiller

Agree.   About the only people that will use a collection are people who don't want to be bothered with the details of managing their own mod experience.

That is about as unhealthy of a modding experience you could create - by a mod site that promotes modding.

-----

Problem is, you can't even hold Collection curators responsible for these same people that see X, Y and Z mods they just "have to have" on top of the "collection" they just installed - but have no earthly idea that what they are using already is like walking on egg shells.

Edited by fraquar

....or, let us build a eco-system where those that don't have the time or knowledge to dive in to the mod insanity (as we do :-D) can enjoy this game , Let us who have been modding for a looooong time help them.
I think that the collection crap, just makes our desire to help, to give good advice, more difficult. Because we cant take in to account all the premutations of all  the different "collecxtions".
Just my two cents.

Maybe it's me but modding a game isn't for the feint of heart - because modding at it's very core is about creating and managing conflicts.

The more mods they add, the more conflict they create, and the more they need to have a solid foundation to manage all those conflicts they are creating.

In other words, people need to understand they are RESPONSIBLE for their own load order and game stability - because virtually no two gamers will have the exact same system and the exact same load order.     If they don't want Responsibility (and a lot of people nowadays simply don't - they shift blame and delegate) - then they probably should just play the game as it was intended to be played with no mods.

-----

I went through a lot of growing pains with Skyrim and TBH I probably have a novice level of modding skill.   

The difference is I know my limitations - and I tailor my load order accordingly so I don't exceed them.

-----

Just my 3 wooden nickels.   😄

Edited by fraquar
  • Like 3