HDT Cloth Physics issue, weird shadows on the model?

furexarot

Spoiler

489830_20240713102502_1.thumb.png.3c018fc26ace10d3a7f8bf38ea536cb1.png

I'm making an armor mod with cloth physics. The physics generally work well and look good, but there is one problem. As you can see on the picture, when character's weight is anything other than 100 or 0, strange shadows appear all over the skirt. Strangely, the physics seem to work fine despite the shadows.

My process is: paint weights in the outfit studio, conform the model to sliders, then build the outfit in bodyslide.

If anyone here has experience with this or could direct me to someone who does, I would greatly appreciate it.

That doesn't appear to have anything to do with the SMP part of your mesh, but the mesh itself. If there's a discrepancy between the _0 nif and the _1 nif all kinds of oddities can happen in in-between weights.

Taking a wild guesss here without seeing the actual nif files, but I see there's a spot on the skirt at 100 weight too. If the skirt has an inner layer underneath it, it may be poking through, and exaggerated in the in-between weights (the darker parts). Very carefully examine your Bodyslide project file to ensure the weights for the inner skirt equal the weights on the outer skirt. The two sides might even be too close together.

You might be able to see more clearly in Bodyslide Preview window, using the weight slider at the top, to see what exactly is changing or moving in the skirt when you change weights. Another option would be to delete the inner skirt and add a double-sided flag to the skirt.

• Like 1

Thank you for you reply.

I see there's a spot on the skirt at 100 weight too

That's not a spot you're seeing, most likely a texture detail.

Very carefully examine your Bodyslide project file to ensure the weights for the inner skirt equal the weights on the outer skirt. The two sides might even be too close together.

The skirt is a flat mesh with double-sided flag as is.

If there's a discrepancy between the _0 nif and the _1 nif all kinds of oddities can happen in in-between weights.

Yeah, I was told that by someone else too. I guess I could create the 100 weight mesh manually by morphing the 0 weight mesh. But that would mean no bodyslide support, which is not ideal. Nevertheless, unless I find another way out, that's what I'll do.

And again, thank you very much 👍

Alright, good. Here's what I suggest then. Just recreate your Bodyslide project. Here's the official tutorial.

Use your _1 mesh to start with and the CBBE Body Physics (if you intend it to have body physics too, or just CBBE Body). You shouldn't have to re-weight anything, just Conform All and ensure the sliders are working. As for the cloth physics, double click on the shape in the Meshes tab that it should be attached to so the Properties box opens, go to the Extra Data tab and click Add. That's where you put your file path to your xml as a NiStringExtraData.

If it's easier, you can find me in the Outfit Studio discord for more help.

The solution was much simpler and, frankly, I feel dumb. 

I simply unchecked "Dynamic" flag in shape properties. I thought that all physics enabled meshes need to have that flag. No idea why I thought that.

Thank you for your time.