Starfield .nif beginner support and issue help.

JKNoone

Hello,

I am new to trying to mod resource files.  I have a mod idea to update the exterior ship module appearance. From some research my update looks to change the appearance in the .nif file.  I extracted the BA file that has the .nif for what I am looking for.  I installed and put the path to starfield in the nifskope 2024-09-10 release. However it is not opening and giving error cannot load mesh file. I tried another older version however that just gave a blank file.  Are there any good documentation, videos etc. on how to change .nif fiels for starfield?  And should I be using a different tool than nifskope?

Thanks

Check the resource settings, Starfield needs to be enabled, and the data path(s) set up correctly. The attached screenshot shows an example using the Auto Detect Game Paths button, with the game installed under K:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Starfield. It would actually be enough to only add K:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Starfield/Data, with the caveat that this recursively loads the entire folder, and may be slow if there are too many extracted files. It is normally not necessary however to extract the BA2 files, and you can browse NIFs from all archives at once with "File/Browse Game Folder...".

The NifSkope version with most up to date Starfield support is available here, releases from before the 1.11.36 update to the game do not work correctly because of file format changes.

sfresources.png