Locking the map camera

archer9

Is there a way to lock the map camera to a static position, e.g. over Whiterun? I read in this forum that there used to be a mod that did this over Riverwood, but I try as I might, I can't find it.

I need this for my No GPS mod, because by default the camera always centers on the player's location, when the map is opened. I want to get rid of that.

Edited by archer9

Is there a way to lock the map camera to a static position, e.g. over Whiterun? I read in this forum that there used to be a mod that did this over Riverwood, but I try as I might, I can't find it.

I need this for my No GPS mod, because by default the camera always centers on the player's location, when the map is opened. I want to get rid of that.

Hi, I'm one of the guys who downloaded your no GPS mod.

I just wanted to say I think I found it!!!

Here you are:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26998/?

Please let me know if that's really the mod you were looking for...

Some of the map settings were moved from Skyrim.ini and hard coded into the exe. I don't think this can be done anymore.

The players position will always be the centre of focus as soon as you press the map button.

You can however lock the camera position and stop the camera panning left and right. the camera will start to look down towards the cell that the camera is locked to when you try to pan.

Try these -

In the My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ open Skyrim.ini with Notepad. Look for the heading [MapMenu]. If it doesn't exist, create it at the bottom of the file. Add these lines under the [MapMenu] heading -

fMapWorldYawRange=0.5000
fMapWorldMaxPitch=20.0000

Next, open World > World Spaces...

Highlight the world in the left hand window and then look over to the right for Cell Coordinates. In the 4 boxes underneath, set both the NW Cell X and SE Cell X to the same number ( x coordinate of the cell that the camera will be locked at), then enter the y coordinate in the other two boxes.

If I wanted to lock the camera at cell 0, -32 then NW Cell X and SE Cell X will both have 0.

NW Cell Y and SE Cell Y will both have -32.

You can also set the Minimum Height and Maxumum Height of the camera on this screen.

When the map key is pressed the camera will aim at the players location from 0,-32. If you try to rotate, the camera will start to look downwards and will lock on to cell 0,-32. That's about the closest your going to get.

Edited by Tamb0

I'm sorry, I taught it would lock your map height....I misunderstood, then :sad:

It would lock the map height, but that's not what I am looking for. I have already done that in the latest version of my mod, by the way. What I was looking for here was locking the map to a specific position (in X and Y).

@Tamb0; Okay, that sounds like something. I will try it out, thank you!!

EDIT: Well, it does the job and that's a whole lot better than what we had before. Thank you! I will add your name to the credits.

Edited by archer9

• 2 years later...

hello ,guys , i cant use your mod archer ,because i dont own the dlcs yet ,ive managed to hide my player poss marker ,but i cant make the map not center on my poss ,and the only way ,it seems ,is by editing world spaces ,wich i have no skills to do ,any help is apreciated!