Fallout 3 + Harverst Moon 64

Tony the Wookie

*** I guess this is not so much a request for someone to make this for me, but just throwing some ideas out there too see what other people think, if someone did want to make this, I would deffinatly help, but there is no way I could do it all myself***

Ok, I will start by saying, this idea is not exactly an easy one to explain without looking like a total idiot, so bear with me...

The whole idea is to take Fallout, and add a Harvest Moon 64 kind of element to in... yes, I really said it... combining Fallout with Harverst Moon 64...

This would not be something to take over a large area of gameplay, I don't have any intentions of turning Fallout into some kind of farming game where you spend more time doing borring chores than you actually do haveing fun and doing quests, the intention is really to be a sort of stop point in between going through the game as usuall... kind of something that supplements the main quest by grounding your character to the world so to speak, giving you a place to call home and something worth fighting for, as well as a new way to get supplies and stuff you need

---------------------------------------------------

But I guess to truely convey my idea, I will have to explain what I have been doing to experement with the gameplay of Fallout 3

I have played through Fallout 3 five time now, 2 on Xbox 360 with no mods, and then 3 more on my PC using various mods to make the game better. This most recent playthrough I have been trying to play the game based on a more realistic schedule, based around the main idea of getting 8 hours of sleep every night, and avoiding being in the Wasteland at nights. So I would get up around 8 in the morning (from my Megaton House, head out to Crater Side Supply, then go back to my locker and pull out the 4 weapons I would use for that day, always makeing sure I don't start the day with over 125 pounds. I would then go out and do quests and adventures untill it started getting dark, and then I would head back home for the night and start all over again.

Playing the game through like this actually made it more fun, enstead of like before, where I would just head from one side quest to another and keep going night and day and every once in a while sleep and head to town when I started getting too much stuff... Playing based on going home every night seemed to help the pace of the game, it wasn't just constantly going from one Super Mutant fight to another. It was nice haveing a place to go back to. Also, the idea of only carrying 4 weapons was probly the best immprovment to gameplay I have found so far. It made me find combinations of weapons that worked well together, and I didn't keep relying on one weapon for certain situations. And I kept switching up weapons due to lack of ammo and the condition getting bad.

But anyways, the problem I had with this is, going back to Megaton just seemed boring... yes, it immproved the pace of the game, but it never changes... You can visit people, but they always say the same thing... you can add stuff to your house, but they really don't do anything for you... It is just lacking a real dynamic and changeing atmosphere

-----------------------------------------------

But anyways, the idea I want to go off of is haveing not just a house to go back to, but an entire dynamic town that you could live in and change. This is where the whole Harvest Moon 64 idea came in.

A few months back I was going through some old games and found the game, I put it in to play for a bit, and before I knew it 4 hours had gone by... The game really isn't that fun, really, it is quite boring, but something about it is quite adictive. The thing that really draws people to keep playing games like that is that it keeps giveing you rewards for doing boring tasks, if you plant food, it grows and you get money from it, and then you can keep upgradeing your stuff and get gifts for girls who will in turn go on dates with you, and then you get laid, and everyone is happy....

So what I want to do is bring this over to Fallout. So here is a list of what I would have in the town

1. Your Home - this would be little different than the home you have in the game already, just places to sleep and store weapons and stuff you don't want to carry around. the main difference is you would be able to buy add on stuff from the carpenter who could build you a bathroon (+ speech and barter) or a weight room (plus meele and big guns) or shooting range (plus small guns) they would not require you to use them, it would just be added to your well rested bonus, since working out on a videogame would be just plane boring. you could also add deffences to you house like Mister Gutsys or machine gun turrets. the last thing you could do is invite people to your house for various reasons :biggrin:

2. Your Farm - it would just be a small patch of land outside of your house, where you could raise Brahmin and grow plants (I would have to make some seeds that you would find out in the wasteland, and the best stuff would be much harder to find) You could milk the Brahmin to get milk to heal hp and radiation. You could eather sell your plants and milk or use it to heal you enstead of stocking up on stimpacks all the time (my number one hate about Fallout) also, if it would be possible, i would put in some mutated hourses you could use as transportation around the wasteland

3. The Town - it would be a pretty simple town, but the main difference would be how the people react to you. completing quests would help them get better stuff, and they would respond to your karma and how much you interact with them. they would also have events you could choose to attend. you could give people gifts you found out in the wasteland and they would like you better for it and give you cheaper prices and stuff. there would also be a few characters you could have a relationship with if you were nice to them and gave them gifts, and then you could have them move in with you

But the whole idea would be to give you a place to call home, that you would fortify and protect from Super Mutants, Raiders, Enclave, and Yao Gui (unless you had Animal Freind, and then they may help your town) One of the people in the town would be a lookout and radio you on you pipboy in time for you to get back and help protect your town form invasion, or if it is only a small attack and you have robots and dogs to defend the place, you could just ignor it

But anyways, this is just some food for thought, im not even sure how this would really be possible or if people would even like it, but feel free to share your ideas and opinions

and like I said, if anyone does want to try something like this, I would be more than happy to help, I am still just an amature 3d modeler (links to my stuff in my sig) and I could probly figure out how to make the town, but past that I am pretty clueless and don't have time to learn everything neccessary to make this

also, feel free to tell me im crazy if you want, but I already know that...

Hi there omg great isea the closest iv seen to that is the forge witch is very good mining and then smelting to make ammo but would have been great if you could fine the wastland and not just in tenpenny tower but ya great isea omg i wasted some hours playing harvest moon i myself do not have the know how to hlep other than say great concept and u are not mad if u are so am i for wanting the mod lmao.

harvest moon plus fallout 3 would equal my life ruined

i remember back when i first got my grubby little mitts on harvest moon; i didnt leave my room for the first 3 days..

its a fantastic idea, but i would have to stay the hell away from it.. :P

im already too scared to try out the settler mod

Never played any Harvest Moons except for the original SNES game and Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA, but the idea seems awesome.

I can throw in some ideas, too:

Only place to buy fortifications is the Citadel

Only place to buy decorations for the house is the Tenpenny Tower

Labour would have course be bought in Paradise Falls, or hired from the workforce of the Union (where the slaves are cheap, gives you bad karma and might riot, whereas hiring people the "good way" gives you good karma but is more expensive)'

To improve your house, you can either hire a carpenter in Megaton (expensive but with good results), employ a workforce (Price varies, but never as expensive as the carpenter. takes longer time, and the result might not be as good), or (probably too complicated) learn the "Home Improvement" perk (Karma-based, from the Megaton carpenter), scavenge the wasteland for scrap metal and wood pieces, and build it yourself. Last alternative would have course take the longest time and the result would be the most unpredictable.

Instead of a mutated horse-thing, I think some kind of farm equipment would be better suited, because the horse might have razor teeth or something. I even think there's a mod that allows you to find a working motorcycle. I'd love to be able to drive around on the broken roads in my very own pickup truck.

Oh, and you need to be able to plant super mutant-eating guard-plants.

kinda the same as what im doing.

underground base what has an farm like structure where 1 of my factions experiments & grows food ect ect ect.

so far iv got, banana's & banana trees. grapes, onions, watermelons, radishes, heck you name it :).

you start of comeing into this base as an outsider "duh" & as you progress the more you get welcomed into the comunity & at the end you get a house which has a smaller farm to the back for personal use.

good idea :thumbsup:

I think I may start working on this as a very long term project (mabe it will be done in 2 years or so)

Im just going to start by makeing mew models for stuff around the town. I am a bit tired of seeing the constantly used chairs and beds and stuff they use everywhere else, and want something a bit more fresh. But mainly because 3D modeling is what I like to do, and I need some practice building some objects and getting good textures on them.

But remember, I have only been using 3Ds Max for a few months, so don't expect too much

Once I'm done with this stuff I will move on to building the town, but that will deffinatly be a while

-------------------------------------------------------------

But anyways, I would appreciate all the help you are willing to offer, and I'm not just talking about people that can 3D model or use the GECK. I need ideas and concepts too

I would appreciate any and all concept art, no matter how badly drawn it is, I just need some more ideas to go off for stuff, characters, buildings, crazy cow milking contraptions, whatever you have, as long as it fits the Harvest Moon mod

If you can't draw, it would be just as good if you could search around on google and find me pictures of cool furniture and buildings that would fit into the Fallout world, but also be a change from what is already on the game, you probly don't understand how truly valuable good reference pictures are when 3D modeling.... If you have a camera and are willing to find me some good pics of stuff, that would be insanely helpful

I would also really appreciate it if I could get some ideas on the town layout, just go into paint and throw in some squares for buildings... I have some ideas on how I want the town, but am haveing trouble deciding what direction I want to go

Also any sort of story ideas for quests, background of the town, background of characters in the town, just simple dialogue or whatever, anything is a help, and if you don't beleive that, just look at this topic and see how I like to take ideas that really arn't that great and run with it

And if you don't think your stuff is good enough to be of use to me, just read this topic and how I took this guys basic and cliche story and helped him out, I work best when people throw me simple ideas and let me go crazy with them, so throw me all you stuff

But I still will also need people who actualy can get the stuff to work such as makeing the food grow and everything, but I will completly understand if you want to see this come a little further before you help, but if you do want to help now go right ahead, but I won't be expecting much untill I get the town close to finished

-------------------------------------------------

But the whole idea right now is to get a solid soul behind this mod, so it doesn't turn out to be some town with generic people and generic stuff to do that just seems lifeless and boring, even though they system works fine. It needs to connect you to the game, not just be another Megaton where you don't feel like you truly belong or are needed... you need to actually like the people in it... What point is haveing a home and people you can interact with if you don't like those people...

But anyways, If I get the concept down and make a real badass locking town, it will be much easier to get others to help get this working