Fallout 3 + Harverst Moon 64

Tony the Wookie

I really like this idea of character settling down, there are already mods for survival ( = Basic needs, cooking... ) so I am pretty sure this idea is possible to fullfil.

ya, I plan on somehow combining this with some of those stuff, but I want to make sure it doesn't throw the game out of balance, where you spend too much time doing boring stuff

but I think the main problem with basic needs mods is that going home and sleeping is boring and there are no interesting people you can get to cook for you and stuff, it is like I said in my last post, it doesn't really add to the soul of the game, though it is executed great...

I don't mean this as an insult to the people that make mods like that, because I have nothing but the highest respect for them, I'm just saying that I would like to expand on the concept by not just haveing you need stuff, but have you actually want to go back home at the end of the day, and actually want to visit the dinner or have your girlfreind cook for you or something...

but maybe I am just being to ambitios... I don't know.... but hey, whats the worst that can happen? I get practice modeling and learn more about modding videogames even though my mod failed... doesn't sound too bad to me

But anyways (damn I say that alot... mabe I should come up with some new transition words...)

The part of this mod I think is going to be the biggest challenge is actualy haveing dynamic characters with dynamic diolague...

I will need a lot of help scripting the characters and stuff, and they will have more dialogue than even some of the most major Vanilla characters, so I will need a lot of voice actors

And im not even sure how possible it is to have them change their views about how much they like you based on reveiving gifts and stuff

But anyways, I think I will begin a topic to start the brainstorming process

give me all the ideas you have

We just need to narrow this idea down to exactly what we want to be put in the game, that way it will be much easier to actualy start implementing ideas

From what I have seen, most of the mods that never get made that people support, is that no one ever narrows down their ideas into what exactly they want to do, they have the general idea, but not specific enough to be the blueprint for a mod, so that is what I want to do first, before I start getting people to make all sorts of stuff for this mod

so, for anyone that wants to post and join in this Brainstorming session, I will credit you as part of my all immportant Brainstorming team if I ever get this mod done

So, the first brainstorming topic will be

Who do we want in the city?

I need to know what roles need to be filled, the names of those people, and any and all information you can come up with about backstory and personality

I also need to know what exactly these people would do for the Town

and I really just want a general idea of how many people you think should go in the town (it is hard to build the town when you havn't narrowed down the size or the funtion of the buildings first)

I will start the brainstorming by saying, if we are going to stay close to Harvest Moon games

5 Girls that you can flirt with, that would also have various other jobs they do, such as running shops or possibly a barber

***** side not *****I asked some people that are good at this stuff how possible it might be the have a Barber that has only unique hairstyles not found in the rest of the game, they havn't answered yet, but if they tell me it is possible, I will make some custom hairstyles just for this mod to get from the local barber shop **********

I also think it would be cool if one of the girls was a badass security gaurd or something

we would also need guys for people that use female characters, but this is less immportant, since most people that use female characters are still guys, and don't want to have their female character flirting with guys (correct me if im wrong, im more going from my own opinion here)

so I would say only 3 guys

but all of these characters would double as ordinary freinds and their normal jobs if you didn't have a relationship with them

I am also thinking it might be cool to have 2 of the chicks be possibly bisexual, so you can have a relation ship with them even if you are a girl player character, one of them would be obviously bi, while the other would take a lot of work but would be possible

I suck at comeing up with names, so if anyone can simply come up with that, it would help greatly

We will deffinatly be needing a carpenter, probly a farmer as well

One person will run the general shop and another would sell food, possibly mabe a cook and a waitress

we would also need a couple gaurds, a mayor, and mabe even a library or something

we deffinatly really need a good repair person, that if you help them out (by completing quests and stuff) you can get them to repair stuff to 100% for a small charge (mabe this could be the nerdy girl character... but not like Moira though, more of an introverted nerd...)

so, anyone else have some input?

Well right off the bat I'm thinking that perhaps you should use GTS and find a good, unique worldspace. Perhaps somewhere greener where cultivation is plausible. And I suggest you call it a town and not a city.

From your description, you roughly will have at least 15 NPCs with unique schedules:

Women:

1 barber

1 shopkeeper

1 guard

3 other women

Men

1 carpenter

1 smith

2-3 guards

1 mayor

10-15 Interiors for homes

1 mayoral office

1 library

2 workshops

1 guard hut or post

I think those are do-able with vanilla Fallout 3 assets.

As for the NPC names, you might use elaborate names or simple names such as Farmer John or Mac the Carpenter.

brainstorming time w00t!

I would reccomend we actually use the HarvestMoon64 girl character names, i think that would be pretty funny :)

Anne could be in charge of brahmin, live in a ramshackle hut with a large fenced yard outside with some brahmin she takes care of. (the 'ranch')

Elli would live in a shop that sells baked goods, we would have to perhaps come up with a few custom food types like baked goods. I think that would be really unique since they would be the only fresh baked goods in all the wasteland! She would be renown for that i think....

Karen would work as a city guard during the day and a bartender in training at night at the local watering hole. She would be the 'badass' girl, with tatoos, piercings, dyed hair etc. (in harvestmoon 64 she had multicolor dyed hair, brunette and blonde, i would say thats the most daring)

Popuri would have pink hair as in the n64 game of course, work in a shop selling only pretty things, ie. prewar hats, dresses, lingerie, flowers, dishes etc. We might have to make new flower items for her to sell, like boquets etc.

During the evenings she could be found in a garden in the town somewhere. We'd also likely have to make some plants and flowers. They would be unique since they would be the only green growing things in the wasteland, aside from the oasis. Perhaps she guards some secret plant juice that makes things flower and grow. (bigger quest?)

Maria would be a studious book-addict who is likely holed up in an old shop selling prewar books and stuff. She would likely give out quests similar to the BoS scribe in the citadel/library in DC wasteland. Woo her with books i would reckon. Maybe some vast quest like find her 300 books in any condition...

Alternatively if you do research on the Fire-ants and scorpions of the wasteland she would be wooed as such, since she is a bug fanatic as well, in the game. Perhaps impress her with scorpion venom sacs and ant parts. Or bug-related quests to go hunt or study them.

so in the end we need at minimum:

Bookstore or abandoned Library

Tavern/Bar

Eatery/Food Store/Baked goods

Ranch

Small Garden outside

Quote from IGN Game guide on Harvestmoon64, about the girls:

Elli

Where to find her: The Bakery

Woo her with: Sweets, Cakes

Birthday: 1st day of Fall

Competition: the baker

Elli has had a hard time as of late—her father passed away and she had to move into the bakery. She is quiet and unassuming, spending most of her time at or near the bakery. In addition, she spends some time near the river in the mountains. She loves to receive baked goods as presents, as well as fresh eggs and milk. This is an expensive course to take, so be sure your farm is productive before taking a shine to this one.

It also helps to be nice to the bakery owner, but watch out. If you leave Elli go too long, he’ll end up marrying her.

Maria

Where to find her: The Library

Woo her with: Cabbage (really!)

Birthday: 11th day of Winter

Competition: Harris, the postman

Maria is a meek but friendly young lady. Since she is the daughter of the Mayor, you could lock down some serious power in marrying her. She can be found nearly every day of her life at the Library. Otherwise, she hangs out at the Mayor’s mansion, and on Sundays, plays the organ at the church. Once in awhile, you’ll find her near the fisherman’s tent in the mountain area.

Maria is a cabbage maniac. This is an expensive gift, but a quick way to her heart. You should also spend time every day at the library looking at the books. Relative to some of the other women, Maria is quick to love you.

Popuri

Where to find her: The Flower Shop, the Goddess Pond, the mountain

Woo her with: Flowers

Birthday: 22nd day of Spring

Competition: Gray

Popuri is the pink-haired lass who is to be found at her mother’s flower shop. Not surprisingly, the way into Popuri’s heart is through flowers. Grow a couple of plots on the farm to lure her into your clutches. Pick flowers from the mountain and present them to her daily. She also likes cakes and cookies.

When not at the flower shop, Popuri can be found near the Goddess Pond. On Sundays, she’ll be at the bakery. Once in a while, she is near the upper levels of the mountain. Pursue her there. If you don’t marry her, she’ll end up marrying Gray, a fate worse than death. Marry her and save her.

Ann

Where to find her: The Ranch, the Goddess Pond

Woo her with: Animals plucked from the mountain, your dog, a way with the critters

Birthday: 14th day of Summer

Competition: Cliff, the wanderer

Ann is the sweet, young rancher’s daughter. She loves animals. She loves wool. Bring her a fluffy heap of it, and her heart will melt. A complex woman, indeed. You can also bring your dog by to show to her. A less practical thing to do is grab some of the cuter animals from the mountain to present as gifts. More than anything, however, Ann responds to the way you take care of your own animals. If you’re killing a chicken a week, go after someone else. She won’t be into you.

She will be into you, however, if you prove your worth on the horse racing track. So grab your English Leather and snap to it, good chap.

Ann can usually be found at Green Ranch, either in the barn or the field. If you don’t see her there, she will occasionally be at the Goddess Pond.

Karen

Where to find her: The inn, the beach

Woo her with: Berries, grapes

Birthday: 11th day of Winter

Competition: Kai

Karen is by far the most difficult woman to approach. She often will not want to talk. This, of course, is due to her distrust of men in general. Her father is such a louse that he’s made it difficult for anyone to melt Karen’s heart. A good way to start is by bringing her grapes and berries—elements of wine making.

Karen can be found all over the place. Sometimes, she’s at the vineyards. Sometimes she’s near the Goddess Pond. When she’s feeling blue, she’ll head to the beach. If she’s feeling depressed for a long time, a scene will happen here where she leaves home and never comes back.

To prevent this, make sure you’re friends with Kai. That way, even if you don’t end up marrying Karen, he will stay in town and eventually wed her himself. If you’re friends with Kai and pursuing Karen, it will actually help your chances.

Karen can be found some nights at the inn. Visit her there when the day is done to get some after hours courting in.

- Mayor's House / Office

- General Store

- Resturaunt

- Library

- Barber Shop (only if I can figure out getting new hair, if not, I won't waste an entire building for haircuts)

- Blacksmith / weapon and armor store

- Carpenter

- Barracks (mabe a small wall around the town too...)

- 2-4 Regular Houses

The Mayor and his wife live in the Mayor office building

One of the girls and her parents will live in the general store's top room

One of the girls and her brother will live in the resturaunt and run the place

The librarian will live in the Libraries back room

No one will live in the Barber Shop

The Blacksmith will have a seperate extension with his forge and will live in the other area attatched to the shop

The Carpenter will have a mill like thing behind his house/office area

All the gaurds will stay in the bunkers at the barracks

Bookstore or abandoned Library

Tavern/Bar

Eatery/Food Store/Baked goods

Ranch

Small Garden outside

I can't beleive I forgot the bar... wow...

but I really like the idea of using the names from Harvest moon

don't want to be copying it too much, but it would be a great start to work off of

I think it would be cool if you got to write books for the Library, she asks you question about you quest and you give answers to fill it in

A flower shop in the wasteland would be pretty hillarious

Well right off the bat I'm thinking that perhaps you should use GTS and find a good, unique worldspace. Perhaps somewhere greener where cultivation is plausible. And I suggest you call it a town and not a city.

I don't really want to use a new worldspace simply because it would kind of de-attatch you from the Wasteland a bit, I was really thinking of haveing it just outside of the normal game borders, as in, the edge of the town would be just barely touching the wasteland

but im not sure on that

but what do you guys think about connecting this town to a vault or something... not being in a Vault, but mabe they are decendents of Vault people who built their town and the Vault is in the back of the town hidden or something, and maybe they had a GECK that turned the town more habitable

And I was also thinking about fixing up my tank model (in my sig) so that it looks better, and trying to get it to work somehow, and mabe that is why the town is so protected from Super Mutants and Raiders

both of those could lead to some cool quests, but just ideas I am throwing out to get some thoughts

But as far as growing stuff goes, I would like it if it started out iradiated, and though takeing good care of the land it becomes more pure (bring purified water and stuff)

and what about building the town up high on a platue or something

if someone wants to go into Fallout and find some locations and take screenshots, that would be great

Ok, I don't know how possible this would be, but I thought it might be really cool to set up the girls as very unique companions, more of which wouldn't fight at all

Karen - she would be the only one that would perform like a standard companion and shoot up people and stuff

Popuri - she would automatically boost your barter skill, and she would have the ability to search for valuable items for you (like how Dogmeat does, but she gets better results)

Elli - she would probly be the most usefull of all, and it is actually an idea I have been wanting to try for a while now. She would be able to heal you for free and give you food that will temporarily up certain stats (like buffout and psyco and stuff, but from her food with no side affects)

Maria - when she is on your team your guns get much less damage, and she can repair them for you and she could also make stuff you would usualy need a workbench for

Ann - she would automatically give you animal freind and she would be able to summon different animals to fight for you (she may have a pet too, mabe a Yao Gui or something... im not sure)

any feedback on this?

i like the idea of those companion bonuses

i dont know if this was mentioned already, and at the moment i have no idea how it would be implemented. but it would be amazing if we could somehow figure out a way to catch fish from a river (even if theyre disgusting and irradiated?)

it would be neat to have to collect construction materials in order to build various things as well (scrap metal etc... maybe wood?)

just a few small things that popped into my head

...could also have a quest where a yao-guai is killing your livestock and you have to track it