Daggerfall mods?

devakm

Should TESNexus start a Daggerfall Mods section?  

272 members have voted

1. 1. Is there enough interest to make it worthwhile?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • What's Daggerfall?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I as someone who still plays TES: II loves it. Sadly modding DF was always hard and still is. I suspect we will see more action with the launch of Daggerfall Unity. Modding normal daggerfall is basically creating a hack. We made some cool s#*! in the 90s don't get me wrong but all those mods you see on UESP are hacked versions of the vannilla files. I would only advise someone use the mods that come with DFSetup. Try experimenting with other ones but keep a backup.

Here is a pretty comprehensive list of all DF mods, tweaks, etc. I have played with all of the unnoficial patches, and mods so i know those work. If anyone reads this try andyfall and thank me later.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files

• 4 months later...

I don't think it's possible to make mods for so old games like Daggerfall. Besides, almost no one will play daggerfall, because there are better games out there now.

But nice idea, though.

This act of necromancy is to inform you that there are no "better" games. Daggerfall is superior in all ways, with the exception of graphics.

TheFaeranBlade

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:33 PM

Second of all, Daggerfall and Arena have a lot of randomly generated areas and quests, so I don't think it would be possible to do it that way.

Just to point out the obvious: Arena and Daggerfall are not "randomly generated" they are procedural. Every procedural generation requires a seed. If the seed remains the same every time you play, so does everything that is generated, thus it isn't random.

Example: Minecraft world's are generated by procedure. When you start a new game it asks you to provide a seed. If you always provide the same seed, like 666, or something, the world generated will be 100% identical every single time.

Every single new game of Arena starts with the same seed, no matter which copy you have (floppy, disk, digital, setup.exe, etc.). The same is true for Daggerfall.

Edited by Mephilis78

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

So, not gonna lie... kind of disappointed this is still not a thing after this thread has existed for well over 10 years. I started playing TES with Morrowind on Xbox, then picked up Oblivion on 360. Skyrim was my first PC TES game and still mod the heck out of it to this day. However, I only just recently learned about Daggerfall being free, the Unity mod existing for it, and that it even has mods to begin with from watching ProJared. I'm already getting pretty well invested in my first playthrough and the idea of being able to come back and mod the game piqued my interest, but it seems very few people truly had the foresight to consider that the game would have a resurging comeback, although based on the poll results so far, seems pretty overwhelmingly obvious that there is INDEED a place for it. I'd say the only reason the modding scene and popularity of the game isn't as thriving as that of Skyrim or even Morrowind isn't because of the graphics or the fact that it's old. It's because there's no convenient place to say "I want a mod for this!" and just go mod browsing. The modding scene is scattered and very disorganized, and had this become a thing sooner, we'd probably have a nice collection of mods already for it.

And maybe this never occurred to anyone, but perhaps the "lack of support" it gets isn't from it's age, but from the fact that NOBODY TALKS ABOUT IT. I've been through this site a million times for my Skyrim mods and if I had seen there was a Daggerfall community as well, I probably would have gotten into this gem of a classic sooner. As Skyrim and Minecraft have proven, age doesn't determine the success of a game, but the modding community that comes after. Which is why Skyrim and Minecraft will outlive any other game that the AAA's try to throw at us. So I implore you to not ignore Daggerfall simply because it's an old game, give it the chance it needs to shine and who knows, it may become more popular than Skyrim one of these days. Regardless, mark my words, with ProJared's videos on it bringing awareness, I doubt I'll be alone in grabbing this and looking for mods. If you are one of those, please join my voice and hopefully we can see this modding scene get the love it deserves.

Long story short: Authors need a place to publish their mods, Consumers need a place to pick up their mods, Uneducated people need a place they can see it in the first place. If you build it, they will come.

Edit: Apparently Google thought it was more prudent to show this forum post and not the actual mods page... To anyone after me, do not make my mistake... Excuse me while I try to remove my foot from my mouth. Tis quite uncomfortable.

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity

Edited by Pyrithe