Mod help

shotshell15

Well that depends on the type of mod you are using. Your best bet would be to read the readme files that are included with most mods. They should tell you the proper way of installing it. I can't tell you the exact way to install just any mod for Morrowind, because the that process differs for some mods.

Though here is what I can tell you.

-Usually, mods come packed in compressed archives. There are several of these, the most commonly used archive formats are zip, rar, and 7z (7 zip). Use an archive browsing program to extract them. I use IZarc, most people prefer 7zip.

-After you have extracted the files, you need to know where your base Morrowind folder is. This would most likely be located at "C:/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Morrowind.

-If there is a folder called "Data Files" in the mod folder, you can easily place the folder named "Mod Folder" into your Morrowind directory.

-If there are folders that go by the name of "meshes", "bookart", "icons", "textures", "sound", "video", "music", "fonts", or "splash", copy those folders to your Morrowind/Data Files directory.

-If there is an ESP (or ESM) file, move it to your Morrowind/Data Files directory.

ALWAYS read the readme incase there is something you should not do. For example, some mods offer multiple ESP's for different effects, however they cannot be used together or will cause instability in the game. So, always read it, and do what it tells you.

Also, after you have done all that stuff, launch Morrowind, click Data Files, and check any ESP's and ESM's that you added.

Overall, this process is too simple once you have done it.

I have a set of help files for people who are not computer geeks and are new to mods. They include downloading, extracting (unzipping) installing and activating mods. I have included a simple mod to practice on and instructions for installing and using 7-zip. If you are interested, click on the highlighted link below to be taken to the site where they are kept. I recommend starting with #1 and working your way through them.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/TheStormRavenLibrary/forum/256092/

If you use them I would appreciate some feedback as to what needs improvement and what works for you. Please be honest and don't worry about hurting my feelings with criticism as I have a thick skin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would recommend that you download Wrye Mash. It's very helpful with managing your mods, and a bunch of other stuff...

Furthermore, there's the Morrowind Mod Manager (available, for example, here). However, I'm having trouble with it, but others may not.

Yet, Wrye Mash seems more comprehensive, and it seems to work well. You can get it here.