how many people play a pure evil character

shu0001e

I'm more nice than evil, because I hate killing many people, because then the cities are almost empty! (Except for the guards)

But I DO like sometimes to cause a disaster, by killing people and guards and escape the bounty :P

Flat-out 'good' and 'evil' have always been rather boring to me, to be honest. A lot of my characters are painted in very liveral shades of gray: they might not be malevolent, but they sure as hell aren't shining beacons of pure pureness, either.

Mostly, they're just trying to survive from day to day and deal with whatever the world decides to throw at them on any given basis.

For example: My main character takes quests not out of a sense of responsibility, civic duty or because she's helping people, but because a.) there is gold in it for her, b.) curiosity, c.) she doesn't have a choice in the matter, or any combination of the aforementioned. She's not above undermining other people if it means furthering her own goals, but there are still moral lines that she just won't cross- it may be a warped sense of 'honor', but at least she has it.

Moral ambiguity always seemed like an interesting choice to me, because in a way, it's more realistic.

"Good" and "Evil" are really not all of what a character is composed, those are just approximate polarities of a single characteristic. Evil and good characters are not nesessarily flat... the opposite, a character refusing to have good and evil traits completely is morally bleak.

Also, is grey the only color? Meaning that morality is often not the most important thing and character's personality. It's just the negative morality what topic's author finds interesting.

Besides, isn't it interesting, if actually going to the depths of situations and possibilities, that form a personality of a stably and truly evil person? It just confuses a bit, that author only sees "evil" in character's infamy (and it was discussed a thousand times here that they have nothing in common) and several others - in unprovoked slaughter of innocent people... which a real, mature villain would probably call childishness. That is flatness you mention.

Flat-out 'good' and 'evil' have always been rather boring to me, to be honest. A lot of my characters are painted in very liveral shades of gray: they might not be malevolent, but they sure as hell aren't shining beacons of pure pureness, either.

Mostly, they're just trying to survive from day to day and deal with whatever the world decides to throw at them on any given basis.

For example: My main character takes quests not out of a sense of responsibility, civic duty or because she's helping people, but because a.) there is gold in it for her, b.) curiosity, c.) she doesn't have a choice in the matter, or any combination of the aforementioned. She's not above undermining other people if it means furthering her own goals, but there are still moral lines that she just won't cross- it may be a warped sense of 'honor', but at least she has it.

Moral ambiguity always seemed like an interesting choice to me, because in a way, it's more realistic.

You put that so well. The ambiguity or ambivalence in some cases is more interesting and challenging. Being Robin Hoodesque, I face choices like that many times in the game. Usually good wins, but not always, especially if there is an attractive enough gain for me.

For instance right now I'm avoiding a quest. I need to cause harm, when there is no way I can even rationalize that it's warranted. So I'm in what I call a "moral dilemma" of sorts. I want the reward for doing the deed, because I already know what it is. Yet on the other hand, I'm reluctant to cause harm with seeming innocents. I'm still trying to figure out a way to get around the harm causing part. In the end, I still want that quest reward. So what will I do? I'll probably get the reward if it's valuable enough to me. 8)

I play a power hungry character. I do good or bad deeds in the hope of benefiting myself in some way. The only reason I fight the hordes of oblivion is because it is necessary. If mehrunes dagon rules I cannot. Certain events also persuade me to evil avenues such as vampirism. Being a vampire makes the people around me just a source of nourishment and detatches me from moral standing further. "There is no good and bad only power", not sure who I'm quoting with that line.