swap held weapon when ammo runs out

neunen

i just noticed a bayonet someone upped here and thought this might be a neat idea to throw out there.

a script that checks the amount of reserve ammo for the current gun. and when the player is completely out of ammo it swaps (say the m1 garand) he/she is holding for a melee version of the same model that then uses the bayonet... alternatively for a gun with no bayonet, the player would start swinging it like the bat.... or pistol whipping with a hand gun

its too bad that there arent any spear like thrusting attack anims though...

i just noticed a bayonet someone upped here and thought this might be a neat idea to throw out there.

a script that checks the amount of reserve ammo for the current gun. and when the player is completely out of ammo it swaps (say the m1 garand) he/she is holding for a melee version of the same model that then uses the bayonet... alternatively for a gun with no bayonet, the player would start swinging it like the bat.... or pistol whipping with a hand gun

its too bad that there arent any spear like thrusting attack anims though...

Took me awhile to figure out you can map weapons to swap around.

Open your weapons inventory, and press and hold down a number, 1-8. Click on a weapon. Now when you hit that number it will toggle that weapon.

You can do the same with armor, etc.

This isn't explained in the game book.

ah i see what your saying, sorry i should have explained a bit better

what i meant was more of a characters action (sort of for immersion) that when a gun runs out of ammo, the player starts to swing it around like a melee weapon, which im sure people who take proper care of their guns would never do, but if i was cornered by a bunch of feral ghouls and ran out of ammo, i wouldnt think twice about using my rifle as a bat.

if custom animations werent such a sore spot, it would also be cool be able to strike with the butt of the gun, to push enemies backwards

i suppose it could probably be done somewhat easily with a script to check ammo

although, now that you mentioned hotkeys, it could also be done in that fashion, with a little more player involvement. hmmm i might try it that way as a proof of concept.

thanks Oldwolfe

i see what you're saying neunen, and by golly it's good.

scripted model change seems over-engineered, hotkeys at least add user choice and use of bayonets without having run out of ammo etc.

you might want to peruse the More Hotkeys mod for your extra keying pleasure...

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6953

all that is needed is the bayonet model.