Is it me?

lonewolfkai

Is it me or is there an increasing amount of duplicate-type mods being released. I usually keep up with the new releases and I'm seeing a lot of duplicate mods being made. Is it that hard to do a search to see if the mod you're about to make isn't already done? Just as a friendly reminder to any potential modder, especially first-timers, please just do a quick search for what you have in mind and then ask in the forums under the suggestion if you remotely think it has been done before. It'll save your time by keeping you from wasting it and save time for viewers like me.

Thanks.

you have to remember that a lot of new players and modders have started playing and modding. Yes, I have noticed it as well, but some things are basic mods and the new modders have to start somewhere.

I actually got a better spell delete mod from a newer moder, much better and actually works, unlike the older ones I tried :biggrin:

you have to remember that a lot of new players and modders have started playing and modding. Yes, I have noticed it as well, but some things are basic mods and the new modders have to start somewhere.

I actually got a better spell delete mod from a newer moder, much better and actually works, unlike the older ones I tried :biggrin:

oh, i'm fine with stuff like that where it might actually improve an already done mod. what i'm seeing is litterally the same mod with MAYBE a very slight difference, like the modded spell is sold by a different vendor.

oh, i'm fine with stuff like that where it might actually improve an already done mod. what i'm seeing is litterally the same mod with MAYBE a very slight difference, like the modded spell is sold by a different vendor.

as long as proper credit is given if its a rehash of someone else's work, then its just something thats going to be. :biggrin:

Rehashing or reverse-engineering an existing mod and releasing it with a small change is sort of lame unless it makes a noticeable improvement.

But I disagree with the idea of always looking to see if similar mods exist before making a new one. We are talking art here, not necessarily utility. If one day I say to myself, "I want a fort ruin full of bandits!" I am sure that has already been done, but I should still be able to make and release my mod. The bandits will be the way I want them. There will be the amount of treasure I want. The floor-plan will be pleasing to me. There might be special tricks, traps, and gimmicks like no one seen before. This will be my version of the perfect fort-ruin-full-of-bandits mod. My work of art. If people don't like fort ruins full of bandits, or already have a half-dozen similar mods gathering dust, then they don't have to download my mod.

Rehashing or reverse-engineering an existing mod and releasing it with a small change is sort of lame unless it makes a noticeable improvement.

But I disagree with the idea of always looking to see if similar mods exist before making a new one. We are talking art here, not necessarily utility. If one day I say to myself, "I want a fort ruin full of bandits!" I am sure that has already been done, but I should still be able to make and release my mod. The bandits will be the way I want them. There will be the amount of treasure I want. The floor-plan will be pleasing to me. There might be special tricks, traps, and gimmicks like no one seen before. This will be my version of the perfect fort-ruin-full-of-bandits mod. My work of art. If people don't like fort ruins full of bandits, or already have a half-dozen similar mods gathering dust, then they don't have to download my mod.

I agree. anyone has the right to do as they see fit. Afterall, the mods I create are for me.Then I share the ones that I wish to share with others.

that's not exactly what i mean. that is art because of what you said. its being done in their way. what i'm referring to is mods that add utility or a spell, etc. to the game. let me give you an example, there was a mod released not long ago that added the Mythic Dawn armor as a bound spell. That's already been done a couple times so there really is no need to do that again.

now, going from there, lets say you changed the armor texture a bit, or maybe added a different mesh to it. that is a change and i can see releasing that. but what i'm refering to is basically no change at all. there maybe a very small diminutive difference. in the above example, the spell was added to a different salesman rather than some of the other mods. to me, that's almost copying the person who first came out with the idea before that mod.

that's not exactly what i mean. that is art because of what you said. its being done in their way. what i'm referring to is mods that add utility or a spell, etc. to the game. let me give you an example, there was a mod released not long ago that added the Mythic Dawn armor as a bound spell. That's already been done a couple times so there really is no need to do that again.

now, going from there, lets say you changed the armor texture a bit, or maybe added a different mesh to it. that is a change and i can see releasing that. but what i'm refering to is basically no change at all. there maybe a very small diminutive difference. in the above example, the spell was added to a different salesman rather than some of the other mods. to me, that's almost copying the person who first came out with the idea before that mod.

I understand where you're coming from. Especially when it comes to looking for CM Companions. Just too many pretty female elf companions. o_O Nevertheless I can't really complain about it because it adds variety for people. Other people may not be looking for the same things I am. When I find something I like and take it, someone else may find something extremely similar to what I liked and prefer that over what I opted for. It's always nice to have variety. In the context you're talking about here, there could be slight differences in how the spell operates that would compel someone to opt for one over the other. Same with utilities, actually Dez brought up spell remover. Yes the original was horrible. It would work if you moved it in the load order, then launch. However upon restarting it would stop working, and you'd have to kind of smack it in the head in OBMM by moving it. It was bizarre. I'm going to have to check out this newer one if it actually works without forcing me to move it up and down every time I want to use it. o_O

My point is it's always nice to have variety. At the same time do realize this is not a call for complacency with monotony. Oh no... Originality is extremely important. The thing is with all the smaller mods it's all been done before, and likely done with a gusto with the mod forerunners of innovation. Guess what? It's hard to outdo some of the insanely innovative stuff that's already been done, but people still continue. Take a look at the recently released Unnecessary Violence mod. Now that's extremely innovative if not in some regards mind blowing. However those really innovative mods that just blow your mind usually take a long time to produce. Ergo you won't see as many as the more mundane mods due to the amount of time it takes to create mods like that. Also there's the sad fact many who attempt to try to make mods like that often give up.

But there are a lot of really neat and unique mods here at The Nexus both large and small, you just need to look carefully and you'll stumble upon pure gold. I've been playing Oblivion since launch, and I've seen the mods evolve. What I never imagined to be remotely possible in this game is possible thanks to those innovative hardworking modders. So I'm not saying originality is bad, because it's originality that keeps me coming back to this game. What I am saying is, yeah there is a degree of monotony, but on a more positive note it does create a nice sense of variety allowing you to choose what you like best, or if you're greedy take it all. :P