Dynamic and Growing Town

Tony the Wookie

polycount dont really matter. the biggest thing that eats up space is textures.

i was playing with a stargaye atlantis full city & its masive, it still went ingame no bother.

i have allsorts of models but over 1gig of textures. iv managed to trim it down to 800mb by texture shareing & stuff.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was playing with a stargaye atlantis full city & its masive, it still went ingame no bother.

i have allsorts of models but over 1gig of textures. iv managed to trim it down to 800mb by texture shareing & stuff.

that is why I went through and merged the stuff into seemless peices, so there is zero texture overlaping

but haveing 12 windows at about 1000 polys each will deffinatly slow things down, but I can simply make some low poly versions

that is why I went through and merged the stuff into seemless peices, so there is zero texture overlaping

but haveing 12 windows at about 1000 polys each will deffinatly slow things down, but I can simply make some low poly versions

whoo

but doesn't making it one peice make texturing a bit harder, since they have to be put together perfectly?

whoo

but doesn't making it one peice make texturing a bit harder, since they have to be put together perfectly?

it is welded together, so when i unwrap it i will just stitch the edges and it will come out with a better result, since there won't be seems in the textures and stuff

but the whole house is going to be in 5 peices

top level roof

lower roof

windows

porch

main house

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3319/housemno.jpg

i think textureing it the hardest thing you can do, but if done good the it can help you out a hundred fold.

looking thru some textures othere ppl have done iv noticed that 1 indavidual texture can have difrent pic's on it for diffrent meshs parts?.

this is the key im trying to learn in order to keep the megabytes down!... if you can learn to use one texture for a host of difrent mesh parts & maby even totaly diffrent meshes altogether then your on to a winner.

also i see what you mean. the city had a poo load of indavidual strips & after assembling them it loaded a lot faster but the textur work then becomes a whole lot harder.

ahhh the joys of modding :D

Ok, so what exactly do you think the upgrades to the players house shold be?

I want to have upgrades, that when you add them to the house it upgrades your well rested stats when you sleep in that house

You don't actualy have to waste your time useing the upgrades, it just adds on when you sleep there

I was thinking about these

Weight Room - adds to strength and agility (mabe have multiple upgrades for the weight room)

Zen Garden - adds to luck

Jacuzzi - adds to carisma

Tool Set - upgrade to wrokbench, adds repair

I also thought it might be cool to repair an old solar pannel that allows you to create ammo for laser weapons

but anyways, give me your ideas on what you think the upgrades for the player house should be

that would be nice, the solar panel too

maybe have something like the ammo press in the Pitt, that turns scrap into ammo

but items that up the SPECIAL skills seems a bit unfair, since the only other way to raise them is through perks and bobbleheads (all of which aren't easy to get, or are a big decision to get)

repair would be nice though, the norm skills wouldn't be as bad, cause skillbooks are pretty common

but how would it change?

a click would be cheating, and a minigame type thing would be totally un-Falloutish, maybe you get one point after a certain amount of repairs/uses?

but not so you can click a bunch of times and get a point

maybe help out a mechanic type person (the purifier repairman maybe?) and get a machine that turns scrap/useless ammo into other ammo

and a solar panel that generates a few cells every day (maybe have a menu that lets you choose whether to get alot of one kind, or a few of all the kinds)

maybe have a platform on the roof (one of the later optional upgrades) that has the panels and the cell giver, with sandbags all around and a chair with ammo boxes (or if you can think of something that a sniper would have up there, then that wold be better than the vanilla chair and ammo boxes design)

maybe if you got the roof platform, then the sniper (forget his name) could upgrade that (maybe have a few upgrades that require other upgrades) to be something he would use (not sure what he would use though, and how realistic it would be for him to build something complex)

maybe have one of the more girlish/younger characters help you with a garden (that just looks nice), but would any of those kinda characters be the flower type?

the mutant could give you a set of barbers tools to let you change your hairstyle/color

this is more of a character thing, but you could have a prostitute (is there one already?) thats obviously suited for much better things, that you can help out (or become her pimp for bad karma but lots of caps), in exchange for major relationship points and some sort of weapon/armor/something like that (or if you were her pimp, then little/no points, but a Clover type devotee), but thats just an idea

maybe have something like the ammo press in the Pitt, that turns scrap into ammo

That is what the blacksmith is going to do, so I don't think the player house needs one

but items that up the SPECIAL skills seems a bit unfair, since the only other way to raise them is through perks and bobbleheads (all of which aren't easy to get, or are a big decision to get)

It only raises it temporaraly, and once you are not well rested anymore you lose it

but how would it change?

I was simply going to add it to the well rested bonus

maybe have one of the more girlish/younger characters help you with a garden (that just looks nice), but would any of those kinda characters be the flower type?

That would deffinatly be Popari