Dynamic and Growing Town

Tony the Wookie

will the blacksmith charge (or make it free after a certain quest) for ammo changing

and how could you help Popari?

that fits about the temporary boost, should make Popari turn a useless Zen Garden (could buy seeds and stuff for it, then once its grown, Popari can help you with it) into a luck boosting Zen Garden (after completing a quest/miniquest/errand thingy for her)

and what about the mutant?

you could get him some better scissors/something he would need in exchange for his scissors/materials (then it adds a thingy in the playerhouse that lets you cut your hair)

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those look really good

are they the lower poly windows?

and have you started (even preliminary) texturing?

you might tear off the roofing and have the wooden frame showing on the round turret thingy (on the corner of the first house, above the porch)

So...a couple of unique ideas are coming out of this so far, besides the overall concept of course (just based on what I've seen):

Haircuts

Birthdays

Ties to the Arlington Cemetary

Do you even want to play on those ideas? Just curious.

In addition, I think the writing would be EXTREMELY complicated, if you have 15 NPC's that need to have either interaction with each other or acknowledgement that they are all in co-existence. It can be done, it would just take a while. Maybe a long while. I'm thinking Node based (think sideways tree, ties in dialogue amongst characters). Do you have any quest dialogue you want out of this? I'm thinking not official quests due to the amount of modding required, but maybe tasks on the side and persistent/passive stuff you could use. If you had profiles for all characters (traits on personality and such), it would make it easier.

Also, regarding names...please use original names? I can understand using a few from the game (I've never played it), but it is FALLOUT, not HARVEST MOON. So a cameo or two wouldn't be in bad taste, just don't go nuts.

PM me if you need to. This thread seems to be a bunch of floating ideas with no ACTUAL documentation, which seems required because you are getting some momentum.

So...a couple of unique ideas are coming out of this so far, besides the overall concept of course (just based on what I've seen):

Haircuts

Birthdays

Ties to the Arlington Cemetary

Do you even want to play on those ideas? Just curious.

Im planning on makeing a lot of haircuts when I learn how to make them... my Max skills are still stuck in a hard surface object rut... been struggling with organic stuff...

I really want a new unique hairstyle for each girl and the three guys, as well as a few extras for the player character they can only get from the town Barber, who happens to be a Super Mutant...

I am honestly not even sure where Arlington Cemetary is... I have spent 60+ hours playing Fallout and can't remember ever comeing across it

As far as birthdays, if I can add them I deffinatly will

In addition, I think the writing would be EXTREMELY complicated, if you have 15 NPC's that need to have either interaction with each other or acknowledgement that they are all in co-existence. It can be done, it would just take a while. Maybe a long while. I'm thinking Node based (think sideways tree, ties in dialogue amongst characters). Do you have any quest dialogue you want out of this? I'm thinking not official quests due to the amount of modding required, but maybe tasks on the side and persistent/passive stuff you could use. If you had profiles for all characters (traits on personality and such), it would make it easier.

I have one guy working with me who knows about doing diologue, and he has already figured most of the stuff out. He has gotten the conversations to work as well as haveing options open up based on something you talked to another character about. So when you talk to Mellisa about the time she was saved from raiders by Karen, you can then walk over to Karen and have a new option to ask her about that subject.

I am trying to get all the profiles down, right now I only have Karen and Ellie writen down, but I have a lot of stuff in my head I just havn't got organized yet...

I plan on learning the whole dialogue thing in the GECK and helping out after I get the town built, but right now I am concentrating on the whole Mesh and Textures side of thing, as well as trying to get an overall artistic vision in place

Also, regarding names...please use original names? I can understand using a few from the game (I've never played it), but it is FALLOUT, not HARVEST MOON. So a cameo or two wouldn't be in bad taste, just don't go nuts.

PM me if you need to. This thread seems to be a bunch of floating ideas with no ACTUAL documentation, which seems required because you are getting some momentum.

The character arn't cameos, I just pulled the names off of Harvest Moon as a starting point, because otherwise it would have taken me forever to make up whole new names and such. The only real similarities is they do the same jobs (baker, librarian, whatever)

If I come up with better names I would change them, but I don't do names well, and I have been busy with other parts of the mod

But yes, I have been quit unorganized as of late... I am at the moment concentrating on trying to get the house meshes and textures done so I can build from the outside in...

When I get time I will pull together what I have and put it into an organized document and start a "Dynamic and Growing Town Part 2" Topic, but I just havn't gotten to that...

But anyways, I am always open to sugestions and constructive criticism

those look really good

you might tear off the roofing and have the wooden frame showing on the round turret thingy (on the corner of the first house, above the porch)

No, still high poly

I still havn't figured out the whole bakeing a normal map from a high poly onto a low poly thing... I havn't really done that stuff before, up untill recently I was only makeing low poly models

I have to get everything else done before I can even start unwraping, and I have to unwrap before I can texture

I did however manage to get a wagon wheel done yesterday, so that is one more item I can put in the town

I also made a robot and cannon, but that was for something totaly not Fallout related :biggrin:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3115/cylinderx.jpg

I am off work tommorow, so I might get a bit more done, but I also just checked out 3 new 3Ds Max workshop DVDs from the library that I am going to be watching, so that may also help me out some

those look really good

No, still high poly

I still havn't figured out the whole bakeing a normal map from a high poly onto a low poly thing... I havn't really done that stuff before, up untill recently I was only makeing low poly models

I have to get everything else done before I can even start unwraping, and I have to unwrap before I can texture

I did however manage to get a wagon wheel done yesterday, so that is one more item I can put in the town

I am off work tommorow, so I might get a bit more done, but I also just checked out 3 new 3Ds Max workshop DVDs from the library that I am going to be watching, so that may also help me out some

the wagon wheel looks pretty good, maybe a bit cartoony in that pic

so whats the difference between high poly and low poly, detail, right?

http://www.pici.se/pictures/HgrPXeMAI.jpg

Low poly is really just the peices that affect the shape, anything that you could see from the Silhouette

High poly has all the details, but to save from haveing to load a million z brushed polys you would just load the normal map detail onto the low poly mesh

Low poly appears in game, high poly is used to get accurate detail on a normal map

Normal maps are a flat image that reacts to light an shadow to look like it is actualy 3d

http://www.blacksmith-studios.dk/images/projects/bumpmapping_tut/normal_map_illustration.JPG

that is a normal map, it would take thousands of polys to make a model have depth to the brick, but the flat image reads shadows and light and stuff to apear to have depth, though it is just a flat plane

makes games run faster, keeps your computer from blowing up