Dynamic and Growing Town

Tony the Wookie

Adding some rust and taking some of the shine out of the cannon and the robot could make them less cartoony. Maybe have some of the paint looked chipped. Looks cool so far.

well, they are sapposed to look cartoony, I made them for a game my freind is trying to make, nothing Fallout related at all, they just ended up in the screenshot because I was too lazy to load up 3 different pictures :biggrin:

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im planning on makeing a lot of haircuts when I learn how to make them... my Max skills are still stuck in a hard surface object rut... been struggling with organic stuff...

I really want a new unique hairstyle for each girl and the three guys, as well as a few extras for the player character they can only get from the town Barber, who happens to be a Super Mutant...

I am honestly not even sure where Arlington Cemetary is... I have spent 60+ hours playing Fallout and can't remember ever comeing across it

As far as birthdays, if I can add them I deffinatly will

_____

Yeah Max and hair don't go too well together. The best way to o it when optimizing for an engine, probably any engine, would be to make a basic model covering the head and supplement the actual hair with a texture. Opacity is your friend. I like the haircuts idea though.

If I had the game in front of me I'ld tell you where the cemetary was, but I don't remember. I think it's on the way to the White House (unofficial location). You can look it up. But go there and tell me what you think.

I think adding special days would be a whole 'nother mod, but damn that would be amazing. Than again, the most used phrase on these threads is "that would be cool".

I have one guy working with me who knows about doing diologue, and he has already figured most of the stuff out. He has gotten the conversations to work as well as haveing options open up based on something you talked to another character about.

You give me a specific writing job and I'll get it done. I'd love to read what you got already.

If I come up with better names I would change them, but I don't do names well, and I have been busy with other parts of the mod

But yes, I have been quit unorganized as of late... I am at the moment concentrating on trying to get the house meshes and textures done so I can build from the outside in...

When I get time I will pull together what I have and put it into an organized document and start a "Dynamic and Growing Town Part 2" Topic, but I just havn't gotten to that...

I can do names if you would like. I understand you are busy. Have you done interiors in Max? It's a whole different ballpark. Make sure you read up before you undertake tht endeavor. And don't start a new thread, just create a word file (or notepad document, which would be slightly easier and more accessible) and PM it to anyone with interest. You can try a thread actually now that I think about it...but it could get logjammed fast.

And on the wheel, make sure you do unwrap. Unless you have a completely generic shape or, in special instances, a completed model that can use basic texture maps, there is no reason you shouldn't use unwrap (and yes, it is always a female dog to deal with).

I am honestly not even sure where Arlington Cemetary is... I have spent 60+ hours playing Fallout and can't remember ever comeing across it

If I had the game in front of me I'ld tell you where the cemetary was, but I don't remember. I think it's on the way to the White House (unofficial location). You can look it up. But go there and tell me what you think.

Arlington Cemetery is on the east bank, like right next to Mama Dolces, which is just north of Hubris Comics

you'll know it when you find it

its HUGE

(two mapmarkers)

And on the wheel, make sure you do unwrap. Unless you have a completely generic shape or, in special instances, a completed model that can use basic texture maps, there is no reason you shouldn't use unwrap (and yes, it is always a female dog to deal with).

I did completly unwrap the wheel

As far as enteriors, I have only done single room enteriors in Max, but I was under the assumtion that to get it into Fallout you would build the Enterior in the GECK, and I would just bring in individual meshes from Max... But I'm really not sure on that

If you can PM me your email adress I can email you the file with the dialogue right now, as well as get you into contact with Quetzlsacatanango who is right now the only person working on dialogue and stuff. He is pretty much in charge of where the dialogue is going, since I know little about that kind of stuff in the GECK, and I am spending most of my time trying to get these building figured out, so I can get the exterior of the town built. I am mostly just supplying him with characters and he is doing the real work.

you have pieces that fit together to make rooms

I guess you could add a building piece mesh just like you would any other item, I've only ever done simple object placement in pre existing cells, but I imagine you could do custom interior pieces

I don't know how the GECK works yet. When I find out I'll inquire on that post haha. The engines I've seen use objects/meshes as "brushes", where the engine adds it as an entity that can be stacked or combined with other entities. Again, won't know for a bit.

The wheel just looked a little funny because of the heavy lines running ACROSS the wheel itself, not the spokes. Looks like someone just cut a huge hole out of a tree trunk and molded it (thats not how wheels work/are made). Maybe just take noticeable stuff out of that texture? Or make it go around the wheel instead of cutting across. Your choice.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6696/33905786.jpg

+

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2817/eeeeeeeeeeenormals.jpg

=

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8966/windowmap.jpg

Still needs a lot of work though, I think the low poly is too low poly... I think I should add back at least the main inset of the window and stuff, but this is the first time I did this, so I didn't know how much that was going to affect the window

The window above is at 44 polys, but even if I have to go up to 100 or so, it is still a whole lot better than the 1400 or so it was before...

Yes, more character rambling from me :biggrin: and even more blue and green text

Going through this thing I came up with a lot of ideas connecting the different characters, it may take me a while to get them all down in something that is at least a bit organized, but I will post some of the ideas for conversations involving one character, talking about another character, that leads to conversation options when you talk to the person they told you about.

I plan on eventualy going through all of the characters for this, I just always start with the girls, because I find them more interesting...

Karen

Age - 17

She is the youngest of the girls, and it shows, since she starts out being quite the immature whiney little emo teenager... And as you get to know her you realise she is just a scared little kid left all alone.

Height - 5,4

Other than the kids and Maria, Karen is the next shortest person in the town.

Body Type -

Karen has just a bit slimmer than average frame, with little bodyfat and a decent amount of muscle tone, from her time training as a town gaurd

Hair Color -

She has dark brown hair that goes just past the shoulders, she had blond streaks in it that comes from a secred formula only Gorplog knows, and doesn't share with many people. She will have a pony tail hairstyle and straight hairstyle, nothing really fancy.

Residence - Barraks

Karen can be found sleeping in the Barraks as well as one of the hotel rooms in the Tavern, when she wants to get away from the people at the Barraks. She has a secret room in the Barraks that once belonged to her parents. She never sleeps there, but she keeps all her personal stuff hidden there so no one can find it.

Common Locations -

Karen can be found in the Barraks or gaurding the Town Gate. She also works the bar some nights. When she at one of her jobs, she is usualy hideing in her secret room or outside of the town walls by the destroyed tree (she is one of the few people that leaves the town walls)

Freinds -

Karen doesn't act like she likes anyone, but she is secretly freinds with her fellow outcast Gorplog. She gives him guitar lessons in exchange for him putting the blond streaks in her hair. She also cares about Mellisa, who she saved from raiders once, she kindof watches over her, and she is one of the few people she isn't totaly rude to (she is rude to Gorplog when other people are around). When she was younger she was good freinds with Maria and Anna, but isolated herself from them after her family was killed.

Ocupation - Waitress / Town Gaurd

Karen makes more than enough money working at the Bar at night, but out of a sence of duty she also works as a town gaurd during the days. This is partialy because that is what her parents did, and partialy just to fill up time since she doesn't really spend time with people much.

Family -

All of Karen's family is now dead. When she was 12 her Father, Mother, and Older Sister went to fight for the Brotherhood of Steel after an urgent message from Elder Lyon's himself requesting immediate backup. Her Mother and Father were both former BOS members who left the BOS to have a family and protect the town, which they saw as a beacon of hope for the wasteland.

Elli

Age - 27

She is the oldest of the girls, and more mature than the others. She is more ready to settle down and start a family. She is also freinds with a lot of the other girls parents and the other older townmembers, since she kindof fits in a generation gap between the two groups, but gets along with both.

Height - 5,6

She would be just slightly shorter than the default Fallout character, who I said is 5,8, but completly average compared to the other female characters in my town...

Body Type -

Elli will have the most curvey body. She will have nice rounded features and not too much as far as muscle mass. She won't be fat, but deffinatly no ribs showing like on the Type 3 body's and such.

Hair Color -

She will have light brown hair that comes just above the shoulders

Residence - Bakery

She has her own room in the back of the Bakery where she sleeps and keeps all of her stuff. She doesn't spend much time there however, since she is constantly out talking to people or makeing food

Common Locations -

Elli spends most of her time makeing food, which she is very dedicated to. When she is not at her Bakery she can be found getting food from the Farm or stuff from the General Store. She also roams around the middle of the town talking to people.

Freinds -

Ellie is freinds with almost everyone in the town. Her main freinds are Maria, Popari, as well as Popari's mom. She is popular among most of the groups though, from the young kids to the older generation. She also talks to Anna's older brother a lot when she is picking up food.

Occupation -

She spends all of her time makeing food for the people of the town, and she gets a whole lot of bussiness

Family -

She was raised by the Enclave and doesn't really remember any real family.

Popari

Age - 21

When she was younger, the only other kids in the town were all a couple years younger then her, so she ended up takeing a leadership type roll which made her very confident, but also a bit bossy at time.

Height - 5,7

She is just below the standard Fallout height but just above the average for the females in my town.

Body Type -

Popari's body type is the closest to the idealised female form. Kind of your standard LA girl image. She is skinny but still has big boobs and a nice round ass. She is looked at by a lot of the guys as the most attractive girl in the town. (close to the Type 3 Cali body)

Hair Color -

She has blond hair, and several fancy hairstyles since she spends so much time haveing Gorplog work on it. (she is pissed that he won't give her highlights)

Residence -

She lives in the Mayor's Mansion with her family. She has a lot of nice stuff in her room that she got from tradeing or got from her father.

Common Locations -

She is found in the General Store a lot, as well as at her home. She also spends a lot of time at the bar, mostly flirting with guys. She is constantly haveing her hair done by Gorplog as well. After you get the purifier fixed you can find her at the pond a lot, but usualy not swimming.

Freinds -

She is freinds with almost all of the younger generation. She doesn't talk to any of the childern other than her sister, and doesn't really spend much time with the older people other than Franklin, who has been like an uncle to her. She is freinds with all the girls exept Karen who scares her. She also like to flirt with most of the guys, especialy the bartender.

Occupation -

She runs the General Store and sometimes tries assists her father with Mayor stuff

Family -

Her father is the Mayor, so he is the most powerful person in the town and pretty much gives Popari what she wants. She also has her mon and little sister, who she hangs out with a lot.

Maria

Age - 18

She is the same age as the player character, as well as around the same age as Karen and Anna. She trys to act mature, but she still relys on her parents a lot and is cautious around strangers.

Height - 5,2

She is the shortest person in the town and well below the players height. This contributes to her shyness and other people still treating her like a kid

Body Type -

Maria has the smallest frame of the girls and is pretty skinny without much muscle tone

Hair Color -

She has long jet black hair

Residence - Blacksmith

She lives with her parents in the house connected to the Blacksmith shop. She spends more time in her room than most of the other characters.

Common Locations -

She spends most of her time in the library, where she works and has her own little workroom to the side, where she restores old technology for the museum she is makeing. She also spends a lot of time at home. She can be found visiting Anna at the farm or at the Bakery

Freinds -

She was childhood freinds with Anna and Karen, but now she is afraid to talk to Karen, but misses her. She isn't very social, but she can be found talking to Popari and Elli, she also talks to Franklin about book and his stories from his travels before he came to the town.

Ocupation -

She runs the library and is starting a museum of pre war tech, she also fixes stuff around the town

Family -

Her father is the blacksmith, Rick, and she has an overprotective mother

Anna

Age - 18

Same age as the player chacter, and grew up freinds with Karen and Maria. Her father and older brother still treat her like a little girl

Height - 5,8

She is the same height as the Fallout standard and a bit taller than the other girls in my town

Body Type -

She has an athletic bodytype, not muscular, just toned and healthy

Hair Color -

Her hair is light orange, what most people call a redhead, but it really isn't red...

Residence -

She still lives with her family and works on the farm. She has her own room seperate from her brothers and has set up traps to keep them out.

Common Locations -

She spends a lot of time at her families farm, mostly takeing care of the animals, but sometimes at the shop. She can sometimes be found delivering food to the Bakery, but her brother usualy does that. She stops by the Medicine shop a lot, and after you fix the water purifier you can find her swimming.

Freinds -

She is good freinds with Maria and Popari. She spends time with the crazy old lady and her grandkids. She also hangs around Cliff a lot, and is sometimes found talking to him while he is in his sniper tower.

Occupation -

She works on her families farm, mostly takeing care of the animals

Family -

She has a father and a older and younger brother. Her younger brother will get mad if you flirt with his sister. Her mother died during childbirth after her younger brother was born when Anna was 5

Ok, here is some of the material I came up with to give the people something to talk about and stuff

Anna, Maria, and Karen are all about the same age, and they all three grew up in the town together. They became real good freinds throughout their childhood, always being together.

When Karen's parents died, she completly isolated herself from her former best freinds. Maria became somewhat afraid of Karen's behavior, so she didn't really try to talk to Karen after that, which upset Karen (being a whiney little emo girl, who says she doesn't want peoples attention, but is really saying that just to get attention...) Anna tried to talk to Karen, but took her anger at Maria out on Anna, so Anna eventualy couldn't take the abuse anymore.

Karen won't go into the library because she wants to avoid Maria, so she steals books in the middle of the night and returns them later.

When they were young Karen and Maria would always bring books to Franklin, the ghoul, to have him read to them, since he was the only one in the town who was good at reading complex stuff like novels (not a common skill in the Wasteland). He would also tell them stories of his adventures when he was a younger ghoul. This is how they both learned to read better than most of the people in the Wasteland, and developed an appreciation for liturature.

Through finding out from Maria that books seem to go missing, she will eventualy tell you of her and Karen's former freindship. You can also ask Franklin about it. You can then confront Karen about it, but you can only get her to really tell you stuff if she really likes you. Eventualy, you can help mend their freindship and get them back talking to each other.

You can also get Karen and Anna to get back to being freinds.

Popari is a few years older than the other girls, so when they were younger she took up a sort of leadership roll. This also had something to do with the fact that her father was the Mayor and most powerful person in the town. She also got more attention from the boys, so she ended up not hanging out with the other three girls as much.

She is still freinds with Maria and Anna, but not as good freinds with them as they are to each other. She avoids Karen now, not wanting to deal with the negativity.

Popari spends a lot of time getting her hair done by Gorplog. Gorplog doesn't really like her, because all she ever does when he is doing her hair is ramble on and on about herself, and she doesn't show much repect to him. She is pissed off because he won't give her highlights like he gave Karen. He denies giveing Karen the highlights.

Popari and the Bartender will hook up if you don't make a move on one of them

Anna's brother has had a crush on Elli since she first moved to the town. He completly took over the job of delivering food to the Bakery, even though it wasn't his responsibility, just so he could go see Elli. Elli talks to him alot, but is mostly oblivious to the fact that he has a crush on her, she thinks he just really likes her food. You can help Anna's brother out by talking to Elli, and they will get together, which will score you points with Anna.

Anna on the other hand has had a crush on Cliff since he moved to the town. She is always asking him about his wasteland stories and watching him shoot Yao Gui and Molerats from his sniper tower. Cliff likes Anna, but won't hang around her too much, because her older brother and father don't like him (her younger brother looks up to Cliff). Since Cliff is the new guy in town, he doesn't want to cause any trouble and risk getting sent back out to the Wasteland where he has many enemies, so he stays away from Anna to keep from makeing her dad mad. If you can convince Anna's father than Cliff is a good guy, Cliff will start dateing Anna. (this is a lot easeir if you hook Elli up with Anna's brother first.

Once you get the water purfier fixed, you will constantly see Popari suntanning by the pond. Anna will also be there swimming quite a bit. It is a bit more rare to see Elli swimming, and Karen and Maria are both to shy to be out there in swimsuits unless you talk them into it.

I will eventualy make custom swimsuits for each of them