Dynamic and Growing Town

Tony the Wookie

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a jail?

That seems like a whole different section...would definitely slow down some development time. A "Hitman" mod WITHIN this mod, which already includes: realistic life, agriculture, and relationship building, seems like another huge bump in the road. Awesome suggestion, maybe just for a later time?

Also, Tony, may want to start backing up character details on Notepad at the very least. Other than that it's ok to be unorganized for the time being. It's just a pain in the ass losing stuff than having to redo it (especially in Max, KEEP BACKUPS!)

We're almost done with all the naming! Woo! I could maybe name all the town locations next? Long as you have a list without us having a map. I am not sure...let me know.

The jail is just a small room inside of the barraks, I currently have no function for it, but I am going to build it so we can expand later. I was also thinking of possibly haveing Karen get arrested for beating the crap out a guy that won't stop hitting on her at the bar and just haveing a short dialogue where you bail her out or something.

I have all my files backed up, just not posts I put onto the forums... I stick all of my meshes and textures on a Memory Stick Duo Pro (camera card) since I don't trust hard drives. That way if my computer goes down I still have all the files

Quests and stuff of that nature really isn't my area. I figure, if I build this town and make it good, other modders will see the potential and add stuff.

I plan on allowing other modders to use my town to build any sort of quests apon it. I have takeing this into acount and left extra buildings for growing room and such. But I don't know much about quests, so I don't feel like I should eather be in charge of that or get credit when people make quests. So people will always have the option to make a quest for my town, and upload it as an add-on on their own page if they choose, that way they will get the credit they diserve, as long as they arn't releasing my textures and meshes on their page. Or if they choose than can also put it on my page with my files.

Here is what I plan on haveing done for the initial release

1. Fully build town exterior with new custom meshes and textures for the houses, the wall, and various clutter needed around the town. Each exterior peice will have at least 3 different versions varrying in damage. This will feature 12 finished buildings, and then 2 ruined buildings and 2 empty plots for expansion later on.

2. A system that allows you to gain points that build up toward repairing individual buildings or the town as a whole (each time you reach an upgrade point, the building will be replaced by the next level up, until it is in its top condition)

etc., etc...

Good deal dude. I'm at the Navmesh section of GECK. I'm gonna try to read at least 4 sections a day for the while until I get my motherboard. I'd love to do the quests once I figure it out.

Thanks for the credit dude.

I like the drunk fight thing, Ryan.

As for the names...I gave you that whole list. There's plenty for you to pick from if you want to change them. If you really want me to decide on the last few I will, but you just seemed slightly indecisive about it so I left it for your choosing.

EDIT: And don't forget to put up the names for the Ghoul, Barber, and anyone else you mightve forgotten! I personally like Haggard for the Barber.

Good deal dude. I'm at the Navmesh section of GECK. I'm gonna try to read at least 4 sections a day for the while until I get my motherboard. I'd love to do the quests once I figure it out.

Thanks for the credit dude.

I like the drunk fight thing, Ryan.

As for the names...I gave you that whole list. There's plenty for you to pick from if you want to change them. If you really want me to decide on the last few I will, but you just seemed slightly indecisive about it so I left it for your choosing.

EDIT: And don't forget to put up the names for the Ghoul, Barber, and anyone else you mightve forgotten! I personally like Haggard for the Barber.

I don't know the first thing about Navmesh, so if you want to take care of that after I get some of the interiors and stuff done, that would save me a whole lot of time. I am pretty confident that I can learn it if I have too, but if you are interested it would be a great help.

But as far as the names, I was actualy wanting to get some input from some of the people other than you or me, since they also might have ideas for what fits the characters. But if no one feels like shareing their opinions I think I have enough to go off of to finalize the names. I just like to give other people a shot to put in their opinions too.

I don't agree with a lot of modders that like to keep things behind closed doors, I like to keep all of the information out in the open where people can tell me what they like and don't like.

But anyways, I am always open for people doing quests, I just am not going to be doing them myself, and I am not going to be telling you what to do. Quests may be hard at the moment though, considering the lack of specific locations (you can't have a quest about deffending the wall if the wall doesn't exist in the GECK, and you can't have a quest involving someone getting thrown in Jail if the Barracks and the Jail don't exist.)

Now if you want to put in some vanilla Fallout Houses temporarily then that would work, and I will just replace the stuff with a new mesh later, I don't think it would mess anything up, but then again, I am not a GECK expert.

It must suck re-writing all that, I once lost all my save games on Fo3, And I didn't feel like re-playing all the levels :(

I doesn't really bother me much, exept that I am constantly busy doing other stuff

But I have been trying to wright a couple different novels in my spare time (without much luck due to me sucking at wrighting plot...) And when doing that you are constantly wrighting and changeing and re-wrighting

Things usualy come out a lot better the second time, usualy with more detail and better organization

The one I lost was only about half as long as what I put back up last night

But anyways, now that we are on page 20 I am going to begin working on a new topic that will be called "Dynamic and Growing Town Pt.2"

I will finish out getting the rest of the names finalized first though, so keep on posting on here untill you see the other one up

But I will take all of the info gathered in these 20 pages and put it in the new thread in an organized fashion, using the new character descriptions with the new names and such.

This will make it much easier for new people who are just now reading about this, since they won't have to go through 20 pages to find out what is going on.

But I won't get to work on this till later tonight or tommorow

I agree. The old names were better. I know from experience that making names can be a hassle, but try to stick with... well, names that 'work'. And, just because a name is unique means it is better. People will like a Sarah as much as they will Saeyrah or Raven-Twilight de Gloria, or what have you. I'm pretty sure the most unique name I've used for a character is Kalina, as I tend to stick to the average stuff; Jims and Erics and Charleses and Angelas and Ashleys and whatnot. In conclusion, just keep the old names. It'll most likely work better.

I ripped the old names off of another game, so I really don't like the idea of keeping them

plus, I never really liked any of the 5 names in the first place... I just used them as a starting point

Karen and Elli are both names for old ladys

Maria is the name of half the people I work with, and it isn't really cute for the nerdy girl character

Popari is just plane weird, and Ann is just plane boring...

But anyways, I have never noticed a difference between Pre-War and Post-War names, other than the characters that use nicknames and such... What is the real difference?

Jennifer is from the Enclave, so in theory it should sound pre-war

pre war would be something from the fifties to now

post war would be something they made up cause it sounds nice, or got out of a book

Popari IS weird, but it sounds kinda nice, and Jennifer and Emma and Anna are all too plain

should stick with the old ones, maybe Karen, it sounds like some middle aged southern woman

and if you don't like Maria, maybe Mariana?

or Angelina?

I researched some of the names, some I made up, some are people I know. If you haven't noticed...Fallout is in the vein of a futuristic 1950's. And the names that match that style...don't work? Productive input would be nice, not "this doesn't sound right because it matches really well." Only research and validity will make your point worth consideration. I don't mean it as an offense, but it's a major asset to creating a well-accepted and acknowledged idea.

I will post ALL names that I have come up with. Please either try to fill in the blanks with the names I have provided, or add input where you fill in the blanks yourself. But please research!

Thanks much.

QUOTE (Tony the Wookie @ Aug 12 2009, 11:11 PM)

Popari = Sage Greenfeild

Ann = Anna Shelling

Maria = Emma Kaplan

Elli = Jennifer Davis -----> ?

Karen = Kaylee Moore ------> ?

Popari = ?

(Tony, I asked to run it by me with email first. Just trying to work co-operatively.)