Dynamic and Growing Town

Tony the Wookie

make most of the town essential, cause if there an attack (scripted or not) things may go wrong

and I lost the Outcast guy at the gate to the military base in downtown that the Outcasts had taken over (Anchorage), well, he got turned into paste cause of MMM

so....

MAKE THEM ESSENTIAL

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think essential NPCs is kinda lame. It is a game of actions and consequences. If someone dies due to your actions or lack of action then I think that is part of the game. I wouldn't mind popping up a message if someone important gets offed though.

some of the NPCs wouldn't be so bad to lose, but I lost that gatekeeper at Paradise Falls (needed him for the kidnapping quest) just cause of Raiders, and I WAS fighting them off

your right it is actions and consequences, but MMM can be dangerous!

Maybe there should be a script that makes it so only you and other people in the town can kill another, but enemies can't.

On the topic of village idiot, there should be a character who goes around drunk having sex with peoples' animals.

And getting you a sidequest where you have to track the guy down and kill or report him to the authorities. Or maybe as a female character try to get him attracted to women instead or something.

Or if you don't want it that messed up and disturbing maybe just a thief who tries to steal animals.

ok, so im going to use the same basic house for

The General Store and The Bakery (I will have to add 1 extra wall to the interior)

The Carpenter Shop and The Library

The Mayor's House and The Other Farm

The Medicine Shop and The Blacksmith

and these ones will remain totaly unique

The Barraks

The Player's House

The Tavern

The Barber Shop

This way I only have to make 8 origional meshes and will only have to make small adjustments to the textures of the other 4, as opposed to totaly modeling and unwrapping them.

But anyways, here is the blueprints for the Barraks, Blacksmith, and the Bakery

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm98/Supernaut14/Town/DSC00097.jpg

The room in the basement of the Barraks is Karen's secret room, the door is hidden behind one of the shelves in the armory

That's a lot of stuff to reply about...ok than.

Tony: Poly count, poly count, poly count. Test that stuff in-engine before solidifying that you're going to use it. Have you started texturing? I asssume the chair texture isn't done...right? And I've taken drafting...if I can find my old supplies I'll throw down some actual blueprints...but it takes a while. Everything has to be labeled, organized, and lined up. Believe me, it helps with the modeling too. If I can't find my stuff, I'm not gonna go throw down some bucks just for this project. No offense, but I just don't have the time nor the funds.

Quetz...whatever: I like the hedgerow as a boundary. I agree about the NPC thing too, although it would kinda suck to not experience the entirety of what the town has to offer...but hey, let people exploit the save system if they really want to. Death is a part of life, people.

no textures at all, just default 3Ds Max materials thrown on

the chair is 500, and the store is only 300, I can't remember on the tavern, but it will be up there once I start adding on the pillars on the front porch area

But don't worry too much about the blueprints, if you don't have time, since it really isn't completly neccessary. Helpful, yes, but not totaly neccessary.

Im far from an architect, I just pulled out a sketch pad and threw down some quick thumbnail blueprints, just so I could know what exactly I needed to make and whatever.

no textures at all, just default 3Ds Max materials thrown on

the chair is 500, and the store is only 300, I can't remember on the tavern, but it will be up there once I start adding on the pillars on the front porch area

But don't worry too much about the blueprints, if you don't have time, since it really isn't completly neccessary. Helpful, yes, but not totaly neccessary.

Im far from an architect, I just pulled out a sketch pad and threw down some quick thumbnail blueprints, just so I could know what exactly I needed to make and whatever.

Alright cool deal. I'm having a crazy time with college, won't get stuff sorted for about a week, maybe two. Won't be able to get anything cemently set until around that time.