Just started Fallout 3

AEntreriX

The trouble with hunting rifles is that they take forever to reload so as a general purpose weapon they are terrible. There are some great rifles worth getting that change that but in general. I'd rather have a sniper rifle for long range use. A scoped magnum isn't a bad weapon to have as is the traditional shot gun. Always useful.

Forever to reload? What silliness are you on about? The scoped magnum takes about the same time.

With the hunting rifle, you're making a compromise. It doesn't have a great rate of fire or a large magazine size, but what it does do is give you an extremely accurate weapon that has plentiful spare parts and ammunition. The sniper rifle suffers from a lack of spare parts and ammo, as well as poor accuracy in VATS.

The trouble with hunting rifles is that they take forever to reload so as a general purpose weapon they are terrible. There are some great rifles worth getting that change that but in general. I'd rather have a sniper rifle for long range use. A scoped magnum isn't a bad weapon to have as is the traditional shot gun. Always useful.

Forever to reload? What silliness are you on about? The scoped magnum takes about the same time.

With the hunting rifle, you're making a compromise. It doesn't have a great rate of fire or a large magazine size, but what it does do is give you an extremely accurate weapon that has plentiful spare parts and ammunition. The sniper rifle suffers from a lack of spare parts and ammo, as well as poor accuracy in VATS.

I think it was the need to work the bolt of the hunting rifle after every shot that I am talking about. That alone made it unusable for me, particularly at the lower levels when it's quite easy to be surprised and may need to act quickly. At least the Sniper rifle would allow you a few shots in a row if you needed them. Same for the Scoped Magnum.

I thought the accuracy of the sniper rifle was more then reasonable. Early in the game, sniper ammo is a little hard to come by but I usually had enough and was able to find enough sniper rifles for spare parts.

I think it was the need to work the bolt of the hunting rifle after every shot that I am talking about. That alone made it unusable for me, particularly at the lower levels when it's quite easy to be surprised and may need to act quickly. At least the Sniper rifle would allow you a few shots in a row if you needed them. Same for the Scoped Magnum.

I thought the accuracy of the sniper rifle was more then reasonable. Early in the game, sniper ammo is a little hard to come by but I usually had enough and was able to find enough sniper rifles for spare parts.

Ah right, I understand. Working the bolt can be quite cumbersome if dealing with large groups of enemies, but like I say it's a compromise weapon.

It seems we have polar opposite views on the usage of the hunting rifle - for you it's utterly useless, but for me it's essential. To each their own :)

For me, well, I just love bolt actions. The bolt isn't too bad in VATS, since I think the bolt action is sped up.

The hunting rifle is nice as a weapon when things are going your way. You know, only one enemy on the screen, wearing weak armor, [HIDDEN] etc, because it allows you to get rid of these minor threats easily without expending precious resources. But if you screw it up, and find yourself attacked by three Super Mutants, it doesn't have the shear damage output to deal with them. At this point almost any other 2 handed weapon will be a better pick (and even some 1 handed ones), because the rifles great accuracy doesn't mean Brahmin-excrement when being pounded with a Supersledge. So that's when you pull out that combat shotgun, or Chinese assault rifle, or minigun...

Hey,

I would recommend finding the schematics & parts to make the Dart Gun as soon as you can. It has great killing power, the poison stacks and it's silent, which will often spare you from being swarmed by enemies.

I'm on my second play through and I only just recently realized that I'd completely forgotten how to pick up and move objects with the "Z" key! DOH!! How many skill books and other goodies I must've missed the first time.

Oh, and don't waste your time choosing perks with Skills boosts. You'll get there eventually (especially if you have Operation: Anchorage and the char lvl increase to 30). Early Perks like Animal Friend, Strong Back, and Finesse will be MUCH more useful in many parts of the Wasteland.

Dave S.

Carry a single outfit.

Pick up anything that's worth more than 2 caps, like Abraxo cleaner, cigarettes, or cameras. I made atleast 7000 caps that way. Oh, and don't use the "Make my Nuka Colas Ice Cold" on the Pristine Vending Machine. Use "Get some Ice Cold Nuka Colas" and then dump the normal Nuka Colas in the machine. If you don't intend on buying Broken Steel, however, just forget it.

Don't travel East of the Potomac river until you're prepared to fight dozens of super-mutants. They've set up outposts all over that region, especially when you get close to Rivet City.