Another custom creature by me

Cakester

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7137/zard.png

this one is biped & just needs rigging or what not.

on the other hand i aint got to learning that stuff yet, but i guess i need to learn as i got about 3 npc's i want.

i know how to get them ingame but thats all.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cakester i really like your creativity and drive to make these interesting creatures! can you she some light on the tutorials you used to make these? (if any?) and shed some light on your methods? ie. maybe walk us through? :) im going to try making a custom rig for my walkers ;)

and if you havent already, i would highly reccomend picking up a copy of Zbrush, with that program you can sculpt really interesting creatures using their Z-sphere construction system. Thats probably the best program for making really unique organic creatures, really good at making multi-legged ones or funny monsters or animals too :)

cakester i really like your creativity and drive to make these interesting creatures! can you she some light on the tutorials you used to make these? (if any?) and shed some light on your methods? ie. maybe walk us through? :) im going to try making a custom rig for my walkers ;)

and if you havent already, i would highly reccomend picking up a copy of Zbrush, with that program you can sculpt really interesting creatures using their Z-sphere construction system. Thats probably the best program for making really unique organic creatures, really good at making multi-legged ones or funny monsters or animals too :)

Nevermind. Sorry guys but it is WAY TOO MUCH WORK to write a tutorial on it.

but here is how far i got before i couldn't stand typing anymore.

How to Create a Custom Creature with Blender

by NillaCakester

1.First create your mesh.

2.Next texture it.

3.Now rotate your mesh so in front view you see the back of your creature.

4.Make sure your creature's feet are just above the ground.

5.If you haven't already convert your texture to .dds and then hit the F6 key to get to the texture buttons. For texture type choose image. And then navigate to your textures folder and choose your .dds.

6.Switch to the materials buttons. Then find map input and click on UV.

7.Save.

8.Add an armature and name it scene root. Switch to edit mode with the armature select and click on the bone and rename it to bip01. Hit the spacebar key and create a new bone. Name this one bip01 nonaccum. Make bip01 nonaccum a child of bip01. Now switch to top view and make bip01 and bip01 nonaccum cross each other. Bip01 should be horizontal.

9.Next you need to make sure both bones have the proper rotation. To make things easier in edit mode with the armature selected make stick, names, and axes pressed. And unpress envelopes.

Now the rotation for bip01 non accum should look like this from top view

Y

|_X

For bip01

X

Y_|

10.Once this is done you can hit space bar and add another bone. Position the bone wherever you like and make it a child of bip01 nonaccum. Rename this bone to be whatever fits as long as it has bip01 in it's name.

11.Now you can just grab the tip of the bone you created and extrude how you like until you have a full skeleton.

12.When you have finished your skeleton goto object mode and select your mesh and then shift right click on your armature. Then ctrl-p and make the parent to armature. Choose name groups. Now you can do your weight painting.

13.Once you have finished weight painting you can export. Choose options Geometry only & Creature collision. Make sure use bsfadenoderoot is unpressed.

Part II: Adding collision and constraints

Cakester, you should make an article instead.

Think of the kudos you'll get! :D

I may when I am more qualified.

Here is my newest creation. I call it the Guardian of the West Star.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/5521/gotws.png

think it's worthy turning into a creature?

Well, it's your muse. I would be more likely to download creatures for Fallout that look like they come from Earth, though.

There is two reasons why I won't be making creatures that look like they come from earth:

1. It isn't very satisfying to make something that already exists.

2. It would require that i have an education in the anatomy. In a year I go to community college though and then after that i am planning on going to the art institute and maybe there i will learn to model better.

Other news is.. my creature has 27 bones total ! Damn it will take awhile to weight paint for each segment of the four legs.

Cakester, your creatures looks like something that would come out of those old Genesis or SNES shooters such as Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier or Contra. They're unique, strange, and would make interesting boss fights, I think.

Like that one Xen tail creature thinggy which tormented me in Hal Life.

AH, here's an idea; why don't you make floating creatures in the vein of Nihilanth in Half Life. That would make an interesting fight.